2012/11/10

World War Z talk


Above is the trailer for World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. If you aren't familiar with World War Z, it is a book by Max Brooks.  The book takes place after a zombie outbreak.  It is done in all interview format and broke up into several parts.  Some of the characters stories go over several sections and others don't.  To be fair it is one of my favorite books of all time.  It was well written and not about the zombies.  When I was a bookseller I would tell people you could put in Nazi, Aliens, Russians or whatever in the zombies place as it was about the human spirit to survive and I still believe that is what the book is about.

With that said let me say I am not happy about the movie.  There are several spots in the book where they talk about the zombies being slow.  There is one point where one of the military people talk about how they were told that speed walking was a viable escape option.  I don't think speed walking will work against these guys.  Another quote is "out G the G"and "they aren't in a hurry why are you?' when talking to a soldier about when the US goes on the offense.  He is talking about the slow movement.  

I don't want to sound too much like a fan boy but what I see in that trailer is NOT World War Z.  Does it look amazing, yes it does.  You can bet I will be there opening weekend, may be even a midnight showing, but part of me will be sad.  

Hell the zombies act more like ants not zombies in the previews.  I won't go on a rant about zombies...yes I will.  There is a stereotype for zombies I realize.  The slow shambling zombie.  That is the zombie that I like personally.  Let me be clear a zombie is UNDEAD.  I hate it when people refer to the people in 28 Days Later as zombies.  They are not because they aren't dead.  If you want fast zombies I can deal with it to a certain extent.  However when you get to the point where they have super powers like a few of the films recently, jumping 10 - 15 feet in the air or running faster than humans like in these clips I don't like it.  I know this is going to sound dumb but I want realism in my zombie films!

Again I will see this flick in a heart beat.  I will watch anything zombie related.  Read anything zombie related.  Listen to anything zombie related.  I love zombie culture!  I just hate that they are calling this World War Z.  I hated that they called the Will Smith flick "I am Legend" because it wasn't.  At best inspired by but that is it.  I am not even sure you can say inspired by for World War Z but we shall see.  

Go read the book boys and girls because it is worth it.  Go get the audio book, or even better buy it from amazon by clicking here or the banner below.  Go see the film too!  Until next time this is the Fat Man saying Abyssinia!!

No comments: