2012/11/24

CM Punk DVD review and Therapy all in one post!

This started off as a review of the CM Punk documentary but became a therapy session for me as well. I am sorry if you came just to hear about CM Punk because you'll hear some stuff about me too!



I finally sat down to watch the CM Punk DVD "Best in the World".  Why had I taken this long?  Because part of me doesn't like CM Punk and never has.  I don't know what it is about him that I don't like.  He is an amazing performer....actually let me tell you about my revolution to CM Punk.

I have never really followed the Indy wrestling scene.  I don't know why because anyone who knows me or reads this blog knows that I might be the biggest wrestling fan around.  I will watch ANY wrestling.  I mean ANY wrestling I can get my hands on.  I will watch Indy wrestling but I don't follow it like some internet fans do.  Perhaps because I've never had an indy promotion around where I was to follow regularly.  I might be because I am not a fan of a lot indy matches but that is another blog entry for another time.  I had heard of CM Punk and I saw his brief run in TNA with Raven.  I didn't see anything special.  John Cena, I think it was Cena, mentions on the DVD that Punk's debut didn't do anything for Punk.  It was like when you hear that such and such is the best and you hear it over and over and over and over again.  "You've got to try this steak at Outback, there is no better steak around" or "You've got to see the new Bond movie, the best damn movie EVER!"  Once you hear that that movie will never be that good.  That was CM Punk for me.  Was he good, yeah he was good but not like people said.  So I watched and watch and watched and saw nothing.  Again I didn't see his ROH stuff and that probably would have changed me.  It wasn't until WWE allowed his personality to come out with the Straight Edge Society that I became a fan.  

Now back to what I was saying before.  He is an amazing performer and I like that but there is something that I don't like about him.  It wasn't until watching this documentary that I realized what it was I don't like about CM Punk.  He is the best in the world!  I don't like that because I want to be the best in the world.  

Let me say this right now, I am not CM Punk nor could I be.  Punk has that "IT" factor that I am missing in life but there is "There but for the grace of Godgo I" type thing.  CM Punk is almost everything I want to be and I am.  The one thing Punk did that I didn't do was go after my dream and there is a little bit of me that hates him for it.  When he is talking about how he watched as other main event pay per views when he should have been I understood his pain.  I've watched as less talented people get promotions and raises that I deserved.  He talks about how it isn't about the money it is about changing, in his case, the WWE and I understood that too.  I've had those talks with friends at my old place of employment before they shit canned me.  It is about being the best at what you do and that drive.  Again I am not saying I am even close to CM Punk.  I am not and again that is why I didn't like him.

This should be shown to EVERY kid at about the age of 14 in this country right now.  Why?  Because it is a story about what used to make this country great.  People who did something they loved because they loved it.  It is about taking pride in your work and wanting to be the best.  I don't know CM Punk, I've never meet him and sadly I've never seen him work live.  I am willing to bet from the two hours I just watched that if Punk was a cashier at Wal-Mart he would be the best damn cashier they had...and then fired a few weeks later (hey former co-workers sound familiar ).  Punk would be the best at whatever he did because he has to be.  That is what used to make America great.  Every kid should be shown this because it is the story of a guy who worked harder than everyone else and got ahead.  We don't have those stories in American anymore because it isn't how it works right now even though it should.  

Going back to me for a second, because this is my blog and I like to talk about myself, I've had a pretty shitty 6 months after I was fired for being passionate.  You bet I yelled at that woman who was from the 7th floor when she told me my team and I didn't know what we were doing.  Damn straight I did.  Nobody is going to come into my work area and tell me I don't know what I'm doing.  It cost me my job.  My passion did.  My dedication did.  You know what, fuck them!  The anger I see in my eyes every day for the last 6 months when I look in the mirror I saw in CM Punk's eyes when talking about some of the things he dealt with in WWE.  The difference is he had a boss who finally took that passion and allowed it to change things.  The company said I was toxic.  TOXIC!  You're damn right I was toxic. Toxic isn't always bad when it is changing something for the good.  I jokingly, even though it got me fired, used to say I would burn the building down.  Hey Scott, you fuck, it is a god damn line from a fucking movie!  I meant it in the sense that I wanted to burn it down so it would rise again.  I meant it in the sense that the good people would stand up and what remained was better that it was before.  I meant it for the Amy's and the Paul's who worked hard but always got shit on by that place.  Fuck you Scott Carter and those on 7th floor.  I was toxic but to people who sit back and collect a paycheck.  I was toxic for people like Leigh who didn't want to rock the boat.  I was toxic for the Chris's who got ahead by who they knew not what they knew or how hard they worked.  For the Joey's who didn't do their job and I did mine and his.  I was toxic and it was a good thing. I was so toxic that John Travolta was calling me to star in his remake of the Toxic Avenger.  Okay that last one was a bit of the stretch, he was actually calling because he wanted me to convert.  

Wow.....I feel completely relieved finally saying that so lets get back to Punk.  This was a glimpse into a man that I now feel like I want to know.  I feel like Punk is a guy I want to have a beer with....so to speak.  How about a pepsi is that better?  He is a jerk, he is an asshole and he is the best in the world!  

CM Punk, while I doubt you'll read this, but know that you saved me last night.  There is a line from M*A*S*H and I'll paraphrase it here.  "You saved me Punk! You lowered a bucket into the well of my despair and you raised me up to the light of day!" I was about to change to fit into what people wanted. I had decided that at my next job I'll be that yes man.  But I will not change but I will change them.  Thank you CM Punk for being you.  Thank you for this documentary.  

No comments: