2015/09/06

Movie Review: Town that Dreaded Sundown




Hello again and welcome to another movie review.  This time I look at the 2014 flick The Town That Dreaded Sundown.  This flicks stars Addison Timlin, Veronica Cartwright and Anthony Anderson. As of 9/6 over on IMDB it has a ranking of 5.6.  "65 years after a masked serial killer terrorized the small town of Texarkana, the so-called 'moonlight murders' begin again. Is it a copycat or something even more sinister? A lonely high school girl, with dark secrets of her own, may be the key to catching him."  
  • The Phantom?  Isn't that a superhero?  HE IS A LIAR!  All Superheroes must register so we know who they are!
  • Is this inspired by the Zodiac killer?
  • Shouldn't those religious people be chanting God Hates Fags or other religious stuff instead of handing out flyers? This movie is SO fake
  • Oh yeah, this guy is smooth!
  • Okay, not so smooth...or so smart
  • Damn he was fast!  SUPERHERO!
  • Now that I think about it Leatheface, Jason and Michael Myers were probably superheroes as well!  We need a register to protect us from them
  • Was this scene out of order?
  • Really?  With the window open?  That is odd
  • Yep, it is usually the girl who lures the guy out to the secluded road mom, yep...that is usually how it goes
  • Do people really dress like that in the Texarkana area?  
  • Well that was hardcore!
  • That might be the second worse hotel I've ever seen, the first being the one that got me scarlet fever!
  • I think Deputy Dewey from Scream is better then this deputy
  • Preach on preacher man
  • Quite a few well known actors in this
  • Ah yes, the religious nuts come out
  • Is going to end up being her dad bringing out her talents
  • Lots of close up shots of eyeballs in this flick
  • YES!  They mentioned the Zodiac killer (a very interesting case, the Robert Graysmith book Zodiac is very interesting)
  • STALKER ALERT!  
  • Shouldn't they enact a curfew?
  • Obviously they got the real killer half way through the flick
  • I don't trust that preacher man!
  • Oh boy, they had to go here didn't they
  • Interracial and gay, a double whammy!  A double whammy of sin 
  • Ah yes, the scene right out of the movie
  • I don't think I'll look at the trombone the same yeah, although he can't play that thing worth a shit!
  • Remember when I said stalker alert?  Yeah, this kid has issues.  
  • Merry Christmas Deputy!  
  • I honestly have no clue who the killer is, I wonder if we'll find out at the end
  • This flick is a little long winded, feels like it should be over now
  • The clothes in this flick confuse me
  • I feel like Jami has aged years since the start of this flick, its weird, she even looks much older
  • What is with the flashing light?  He doesn't find that alarming?  And why is he walking home?
  • They are leaving in the middle of the night?  Weird....oh my god it is Grandma isn't it!  SHE IS THE KILLER!
  • Wait...its Deputy Dewey isn't it!  Just like it should have been in Scream!
  • Well I wasn't expecting this.  Quite a few twists in this flick
  • Ah yes, now it makes sense
  • Well that was a Scream 2 like conclusion
That wasn't a bad movie at all.  I think the IMDB rating is a little low.  I gave it a 6/10.  I wanted to give it a higher rating but there were a few flaws as I saw it.

Cons:

It felt long.  With a run time of 86 minutes it felt much longer.  I am not sure why.  It might be the Texas drawl that seems to make everything slow (what I'm a Yankee and I talk fast).  It might be that the movie is just slow (and I don't mean that as a bad thing exactly).  I can't exactly put my finger on why it seemed long it just did.  The other thing that is slightly annoying is that there was really no hint at who the murder was.  None at all unless I completely missed it.  While I don't want to know who the murder is like in Columbo or Matlock but a few hints or misdirection.  They didn't really even do misdirection.  

Pros:

The acting in this was fantastic.  Addison Timlin was great.  She carried the flick and did a fantastic job of it.  I haven't seen her in anything else but I hope to see her in more stuff.  It wasn't just her however, everyone did a great job.  I don't think this got a theatrical release and if so it must have been pretty limited as I don't remember it at all.  The violence was extreme but not over the top gory. The worst honestly was the ankle break *shutter*.  

Check this flick out if you like suspense horror with fantastic acting.  Click the link above to buy it from my Amazon store.  If you have Amazon Prime it is currently on their streaming service I believe as well.  

Next time I'll be looking at the 2014 flick The Maze Runner before the second flick hits theaters in a few weeks.  As always leave any feedback or movies you'd like to see me review (as you've seen I'll watch anything).  Hit up my Amazon store to support my movie habit.  Until next time...Abyssinia!

No comments: