2015/09/08

Brief review of the PS4 game "Until Dawn"

Wow...that is all I can say about this game.  I hadn't heard of this game until I was looking at Mad Max over on Amazon.  The same day I saw that the Playstation Access group on Youtube was playing it.  I'm glad I didn't watch any of them playing the game. I will do my best to talk about the game with no spoilers.

The game is not a game in the sense of what you're used to playing.  If you've played the Telltale games or the old Kings Quest style games this is what you're going to be playing.  95% of the game is you moving the various 8 characters throughout this mountain resort type area.

Much like the Walking Dead Telltale games it feels like you're directing a movie more then you're playing a game.  Most of your choices have a major impact on the game itself, changing choices and other options later on.

The idea is that the 8 characters return to this mountain ski lodge thingy a year after they all go through a major trauma.

Boy...this is not easy to write a review because I do not want to spoil ANYTHING.  I LOVE this game.  I just finished my first play through and already want to go through it again.

The voice acting...well it is amazing.  You've got  Hayden Panettiere, Peter Stormare and Brett Dalton to name a few of the stars of the game.  I guess voice acting isn't the correct name because the actors modeled the characters as well.  This is the future of gaming and possibly the future of film as well.

I kind of wish that one feature was being able to watch your entire gameplay through like a movie.

I don't know how many of you are my age out there reading this.  The first survival horror game I played was Resident Evil.  I remember sitting in my friends basement while we took turns playing this game and jumping at the scares.  Since then I've played a lot of these games and it has been a while since a game got me this engrossed.  There was a lot of times where I really didn't want to do what the game wanted me to because I knew something bad would happen.

Its different then watching say Paranormal Activity or Friday the 13th.  While those movies might make you jump or what not it is rare for you to get a connection to a character in a movie (at least for me).  Books and games are different.  Stephen King always gets me wrapped up in his characters and this game did the same.  Perhaps its because you're controlling them, you're putting them in these situations.  I don't know but man was it enjoyable.  The game goes in a direction I was expecting which was great but part of me wishes it had stayed the course in what I expected.

I want to say more but I really don't want to spoil anything.  Go out and buy this game if you've got a PS4.

No comments: