2015/10/24

Doctor Who: The Woman Who Lived


We're back, sorry I've been a little more quiet than usual this week.  Work got in the way along with a cold that won't give up.  Anyway its time for "The Woman Who Lived".  Ashildr is back.  In England, 1651. A deadly highwayman known only as 'The Nightmare' plagues the dark streets of London, his fire-breathing accomplice by his side. There's something clearly more than human here, and that includes the loot as much as the outlaws. Who are these creatures, and are they enemies to be fought, or friends who might possibly save the Doctor from certain doom on the gallows?

  • Fake voice?
  • Really?  Screaming because of a little eye shine?
  • Fish in the Night?
  • Where is Clara?  Taking Taekwondo?
  • Why doesn't she know her name?  Oh I see
  • Is that a PKE meter?  Egon would be proud
  • She cured Scarlet Fever?  Scarlet Fever sucks...I know
  • Incredible clever?  Sounds a bit like Clara
  • What did you do Doctor?
  • She is evil?  Oh the Doctor will be so very sad
  • Everyone wears masks Doctor, everyone
  • How does she know these things?
  • Was that a Thundercat?
  • Oh good grief, the sonic glasses still?
  • Even back then guys has to sleep on the couch?
  • He's lost too many "Me"
  • "No not the puns.  Line in the sand.  No puns." -The Doctor
  • Wouldn't be good?  Really Doctor?  That is your reason?
  • Thunder, thunder, thunder, thunder cats HO!
  • Is that the Beast from Beauty and the Beast?  Ron Perlman is that you?
  • The Doctor does make weapons and bad guys everywhere he goes doesn't he?
  • Is she going to open the Oblivion Gates?
  • So she isn't immortal?  I'm confused
  • Wait, the Doctor is wanted...again?
  • 20 pounds?  THEY'LL BE RICH!
  • See, puns are going to get you killed Doctor
  • Uggg, really?  Goodbye Thundercat
  • CAPTAIN JACK!!
I wonder if Ashildr will be back.  An interesting episode for sure.  Obviously setting up things to come with the Doctor and Clara.  I like this Doctor I really do.  He is different then 9 - 12 but you see glimpses of each in him.  I also like that they have him keeping doing little call back to other version of himself with a phrase here or a look there.  I felt like in modern Who they forgot the past when a new Doctor came along.  This time they seem to be calling back to all the Doctors from the past.

This episode in vacuum was not that great.  When looked at from the series story arc I think we'll find it much better.  When I say "this episode" I mean last weeks and this week.  It is really one 90 minute episode.  The only time I'd go back and watch these episodes would be if I was rewatching the season.  

I'm going to hold complete judgment for the when the season (or half way point because I think this storyline will conclude prior to Christmas or with the Christmas episode).  However I want to say three things.

1.  The Doctor is correct about puns
2.  The Doctor is wrong about banter
3.  The Doctor needs to get rid of the sunglasses!

Until next time...Abyssinia!!

No comments: