2010/09/17

The art of the reveal and other movie stuff [updated 9-18]

Yes two posts in one day, aren't you people lucky. I've been on vacation watching bad movies. Well that isn't true, I think any movie you enjoy isn't bad but that's just me. I am currently watching Godzilla, the remake with Kevin Dunn and Mathew Matthew Broderick. The thing is that they show Godzilla less then a half hour in. Look at great horror/monster type movies that they DON'T do this with and the reveal is the big thing.

Cloverfield. I actually really like this movie and you don't see the monster right away. We just see glimpses and hardly even that. It is an awesome.

Jaws. Now the story is that this wasn't the plan but the shark didn't work so we don't get to see Jaws for quite a while but the suspense it built up was amazing.

Alien. I don't remember but I don't think we see the aliens for quite sometime.

Predator. We don't see the Predator for quite a while, just the 'invisible' highlight thing and the blasts.

Those are just a few. The point is it the reveal in a movie like this. If I was making a monster movie, lets say 90 minutes, it would be atleast 45 minutes before you see the monster, maybe 60 minutes. Maybe a glimpse of a tail or an eye or something like that. Build up the suspense. Build up the viewer wanting to see the monster. Needing to see it. Demanding to see it. Then you hit them with it.

I like to use movie analogies but of course that is sorta the point of this so lets use wrestling. When Hulk Hogan was going to fight Andre the Giant they didn't announce it and then do it the next week. They built it up. First they showed they were good friends. Then Andre attacked him on Piper Pit ripping off the crucifix. Then they did interviews and interviews and interviews. By the time Wrestlemania 3 rolled around they had over 90,000 people (according to WWF) in the Silverdome. Imagine that, 90,000 people and basically ALL because of those two men. Had the arena been bigger they would have had more I'm sure. It wouldn't have worked had Andre challenged the Hulkster and Hogan said yes and they wrestled.

Its all in the art of the reveal. Lets just say if I ever have a major announcement and gather my friends for it, you're going to have to sit through some major stuff first...maybe even make you watch the Room and Troll 2 to see if you actually care.

In other movie type news Total Recall is being remade, this time with the director of the last Die Hard movie at the helm. That sucks because the last Die Hard movie SUCKED and lets face it we don't need a Total Recall remake.

Sacha Baron Cohen will be playing Freddie Mercury in an upcoming biopic. That is awesome. When I think Freddie I also think Bruno. *SIGH*

Judge Dredd is getting a reboot, this time with Karl Urban of Star Trek and Lord of the Rings fame as Dredd. I liked the first one but I might be the only one. This one will be darker and more like the comic from what I've read.

Just a little bit of news here. I'm bored and well I love movies even if haven't seen one for months.


UPDATE: So after playing some Fallout 3 I decided to watch Con Air. Here is another problem with this movie and lot of movies. The pilot has the co-pilot get the gun out and go back to find out what is going on in the back. Really? As the pilot I sure in the hell wouldn't have done that. Its like wrestling, just because it isn't 'real' doesn't mean it has to be without logic. That is one of the reasons I liked the Scream movies, well the first one atleast, is that they used logic to a certain extent. I understand suspending believe, I've been watching wrestling for 20 years for the love of god. However lack of logic isn't the same as suspension of belief. When I write my movie I hope to not have those logic gaps.

I did have a horror movie script wrote. I thought it was okay...I wonder if I have still have that sitting around somewhere....

1 comment:

Geno said...

Another thing that Godzilla did really well was make you feel for Godzilla as he is dying. The scene where Matthew and his girlfriend watch and listen as his heart stops is amazingly well done. You feel for Godzilla there. I like movies that make you feel for the antagonist especially when it's an animal or nature. Or even when the bad guy is a good guy in a way, like Les Mis.