2015/07/29

Valkryie


This time I am going to review the 2008 flick Valkyrie, which can be purchased from Amazon by clicking here.  It stars Tom Cruise, Bill Nighy, Carice van Houten.  "A dramatization of the 20 July assassination and political coup plot by desperate renegade German Army officers against Hitler during World War II."  As always, you'll see my thoughts as the flick plays then some comments after that might contain spoilers.  As of 7/29 it has an IMDB rating of 7.1
  • An oath about swearing allegiance to someone/thing....that is odd!  Who would do such a thing?
  • Wait...this is about killing Hilter...to save lives not to take power?  Huh...not what I thought 
  • And Tom Cruise just became the Drew Barrymore of this film....wait....maybe not
  • I know Hitler studied the occult but did he really promote a teacher from Hogwarts to Major-General?
  • Uggg, those kids are annoying
  • What is with Cruises hair?  It is awful
    • Why have I become obsessed with actors hair recently?
  • These guys sure aren't very hidden, they are pretty open about their attempted coup
  • Did that guy have a British accent?
  • Wow...that is quite the soft version of Hitler
  • Was that guy Italian?  Sure looked like he was part of the mob!  That he was going to make me an offer I couldn't refuse
  • This whole thing is very awkward
  • This is strangely much more boring then I had anticipated.  
    • I know it is a "true" story but a lot less spy-ish then I thought it would be
  • Was that Brock Lesnar driving them to the bunker?
  • Wait...THAT IS EDDIE IZZARD?!?  The Fat Stephen Colbert?!  WOW!
  • I expected Hitler to more...well insane
  • This is the worst game of telephone ever!
  • Why the weird look between Claus and Hitler?  
  • The driver looks like a shrunk down version of Lesnar, right down to the angry look!
  • Nice to see Danny Webb show up, he is an underrated performer
  • District 13?  So it was the Nazi's fault the Hunger Games began?  
    • Too Soon?
  • A lot of German writing in this movie for some reason....
  • Harvey Friedman is a weaselly looking guy!  Probably a perfect Goebbels
Honestly I don't know what to think about this movie.  I know it is historically accurate but the flick itself is slow and probably could have been cut down some.  The scene with the family did little to advance the plot other then to give Cruises character a further reason to want to eliminate Hitler.  The rather drawn out portion of gathering the districts as well could have been cut down.  

As for the subject of the film what can you say?  

I'd give the flick a 6/10.  The pacing was just a little off.  The acting was good to very good but there was no standout performances.  Visually it was average as well.  So I gave it a slightly above average rating because there were a few above average performances and nothing made me cringe or the like.  honestly the one drawback was the pacing of the film.  I feel like there were just a few too many stutter steps for its own good.  

A decent film but I'd like to see 10-15 minutes shaved off the film personally.  Until next time, remember, the odds are never in your favor...and Abyssinia!

No comments: