2015/07/19

Ant Man or a non-Marvel Marvel movie

Last night and went out and saw the newest Marvel Universe flick Ant-Man starring Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas and Corey Stoll.  Right now, as of 7/19 IMDB has it rated at 8.1.  I'd give it a 7 personally.  I will say that Michael Peña was probably the best part of the flick.  He is an extremely underrated actor who is amazing in everything I've seen him in.

Here goes, there will be spoilers from here on out so you've been warned.  The flick itself didn't feel like a Marvel flick.  It felt more like mix between Anchor Man and Shaun of the Dead...oh wait because both of the writers worked on this.  I didn't realize Anchor Man author Adam McKay worked on it till writing this.  However some of the jokes had McKay written all over them....horrible pun not intended.

Oh and let me say that I hated Evangeline Lilly hair throughout the movie.  HATED IT!  I was distracted by her hair throughout the film.  Don't know why but it bugged me.

There were a few things I disliked about the flicked.  I felt that Scott Lang (Rudd) accepted the entire thing way too quickly.  I felt that Pym (Douglas) accepted the idea of using a convicted felon way to quickly.  I realize it is a movie and you only have so much time for back story and what not but I didn't like that.  Also I didn't like that they don't mention Howard Stark and Peggy Carter by name in the film.  I saw Carter and thought it was her but didn't think they would just drop her in the film and not atleast say her name.  I had no idea it was Stark till looking at IMDB.  I guess I had to remember seeing him in Iron Man 2 to know it was Stark as it was the same actor.  Slightly disappointed that I had to remember a movie from five years ago to know the characters.  I guess I'm not a big enough fan to remember every actor in every Marvel flick ever!

For the most part that is what I disliked.  A few little things.  I really liked the effects, which are always top notch in Marvel flicks.  However I did feel like I was watching Honey I Shrunk the Kids a few times.  Judy Greer and Abby Ryder Fortson, Lang's ex and his daughter, were really good in their roles and I didn't hate a child actor for once.

There was an Avengers tie in and I like that Lang mentioned calling the Avengers at one point. There is of course a post credit scene that confuses me a bit.  I won't say much about it other then Captain America makes a surprise appearance along with his former friend Bucky Barnes.  But it makes little sense to me right now because I don't have a time frame for it.  It is obviously after Winter Soldier but I don't know if it is after Age of Ultron and if this is setting up Civil War.  Does it take place DURING Civil War?  So that is interesting.

It was an interesting film but I didn't feel like it was a Marvel film.  It felt different and I don't mean that in a bad way.  Guardians of the Galaxy was the same way but this felt even further out there and I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

I'd say go see this flick if you're a Marvel fan or not.  There are a lot of good laughs, lets be honest Paul Rudd is a great actor, and some good action.

There you go, yet another movie review.  Hope you're enjoying these and if you have a movie you'd like to see me review let me know in the comments.  Until next time...abyssinia!!

No comments: