2015/07/17

Movie Review of The Colony or the Tale of Three Acts


The Colony is a flick from 2013 starring Kevin Zegers, Laurence Fishburne and Bill Paxton.  I tried to watch this once before but stopped.  Can't remember why, too much to drink.  Not enough to drink. Anyway IMDB describes it as:  Forced underground by the next ice age, a struggling outpost of survivors must fight to preserve humanity against a threat even more savage than nature.

So I am going to give you my running thoughts without spoilers.  Then I'll go into my review that will have spoilers, so you've been warned:

Unfortunately I had technical difficulties and I lost my thoughts of the first thirty minutes so we're picking up 30 minutes in (and any thoughts I remember as they come to me:

  • I feel like Ethan Hawke should be in this flick!
  • Is this a zombie flick?  Aliens?  cannibals?  I'm not sure.  Feels a little bit like the game Metro for those of you who played that.
  • Kevin Zegers is the Ethan Hawke of this flick, right down to the red neck facial hair
  • When crossing the bridge why jump, you can still walk over the beams
  • If I see Bill Paxton in a movie, I assume he will be a bad guy, always
  • Ah the typical jump scene
  • Visually this movie has been amazing, it looks awesome while traveling from colony 5 to 7.
  • I have to say 25 minutes in I was bored, its picked up some now that they're at the other colony. 
  • OH MY!  Reavers!
  • The femmy kid is going to die, never run from the group! 
  • WORST SHOT EVER!
  • I always forget how cool Laurence Fishburne is until I see him in something
  • Ah they are feral, interesting idea.
  • Ah yes, the road sign will protect us!
  • Zegers character is not very bright at all, anyone watching knows what is going to happen next
  • Oh Zegers knew what he was doing...and did it anyway...foolish
  • Lots of gut shots in this flick
  • I like the fights in this flick, more realistic then in many flicks
  • These people sure don't move fast knowing what is coming
  • I mention the fights and then this one happens

Okay The Colony.  I remember seeing this either On Demand or Netflix and thinking, this looks good.  Good is the best I can give it.  Over on IMDB currently as for 7/17 it has a 5.3 rating and I think that is about right.  Average.  The idea is interesting.  Mankind starts a second ice age by trying to control the weather thanks to global warming (a glimpse into our future perhaps?).  We first are reminded that sickness kills and if you get sick you either take "the walk" into the snow or take a bullet.  Then a nice power struggle between the leader and his second in command.  They go investigate another colony who isn't responding.  Feral people.  People die.  They follow them back and their colony gets destroyed.  Yeah nothing Earth shattering and unexpected.  Anyone who has ever seen a move saw this all happening.  The acting was average.  Fishburne was his usual self as was Paxton.  I can't say anything harsh about the flick but nothing great about it either.  

Overall I disliked the first and third acts.  The first was really boring and the third lacked a lot of logic.  However I really dug the second act!

Overall average.  Not a horrible flick but honestly I don't see myself going back to it again and I dislike the ending.  Very much like Snowpiercer I hated the ending as it didn't really resolve anything and you're left to your own imagination to what happens next.  Not a fan of that!  If however you want to pick this flick up click the link above to go to my Amazon store and buy it!

No comments: