2015/07/23

Penguins of Madagascar...The Movie...or a case of the wrong voice actors



This time I am going to review Penguins of Madagascar from 2014 starring Tom McGrath, Chris Miller and Christopher Knights.  As of 7/21 IMDB has a ranking of 6.8.  Below are my thoughts as I watched this flick:
  • Ugg, the first voice we hear is awful!  I mean it.  Not a good sign
  • What the fuck?  That isn't Kowalski voice!  Oh right they didn't keep the voice actors from the TV Show.  Which is very sad
    • Seriously the voice acting...why did they change it?  I realize these are the movie voice actors but they aren't the voices everyone knows for the characters
  • Thus far I'm not impressed.  Weird character designs for everyone but Skipper.  Wrong voice actors.  Nope....I'm not happy at all
  • Okay the chase scene is pretty cool and Skipper is pretty damn cool still
  • What about Doris Kowalski?  Oh how quickly you forget
  • OH MY GOD!  They can't get the TV actors but they can get that horrible Ken Jeong as a voice actor.  Yep.  Makes perfect sense.  I HATE HIM!
  • Okay Dave's word puns are kind of annoying yet kind of funny
  • I have to say I can't even tell that it is Sherlock as Classified, which is a good thing
  • The Northwind in their battle armor is pretty cool.  I have to say that is a bitching design
  • John Malkovich does a great job in this
  • Well this is just weird even for the Penguins!
  • Uggg, Privates voice is just awful!

Lets start off with a review.  I say 5/10.  Average.  Middle of the road which is sad because I love the TV show.  As I eluded to above part of it is the fact that they have different voice actors.  I know it is the movie actors but if it wasn't for the actors on TV I doubt we'd have this movie so to cut them out of the flick for "more well known" actors was wrong in my opinion.  I will say they did a decent job of adult jokes to go along with kids jokes to keep adults, unlike me, entertained.  The writing is what you'd expect from a kids movie, nothing special and perhaps even a little subpar.  I am disappointed overall with this even if my score is average.  If you have kids it is worth watching but if you're a fan of the show don't bother, you'll only be disappointed!

No comments: