2015/07/27

Mockingjay Part 1...a Movie Review



This time it is Mockingjay Part 1 that I'm looking at.  As of 7/22 it has a 6.8 rating on IMDB and stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth.  I'd like to point out that I am watching this pretending I don't know what will happen even though I've read the books.  I try to not put spoilers in my thoughts but after that in my thoughts there may be.  Enough talking...here...we...go.... 
  • Weird way to start the flick, feels quite a bit like a sci-fi flick, Alien-esc
  • I felt like Boggs was going to say "War never changes".  Oh man Perlman would have made a good Finnick
  • Julianne Moore as Coin?  Nope....not what I envisioned at all, too much compassion in her eyes and face.  Not hard 
    • Glenn Close is more what I pictured, a hard looking woman
  • Heavensbee still isn't jovial enough.  I though of him as enjoying the entire thing much more.  He seems too serious and weighted down by it all
  • I just don't care for Jennifer Lawrence and it pretty much ruins these films for me.  I don't like to be that influenced by the actors in a film but what can I say I am unfortunately
  • Interesting speech by Snow.  However doesn't he see that he could be pushing them, the districts, just that one step too far.  You can only kick a dog so much before he fights back. Know when to kick and know when to coddle.  
  • Lawrence pretty much makes a few faces, kind of like Kristen Stewart
  • I like Peeta.  One of the few people who makes sense in this entire series!
  • Interesting that they use Effie instead of the her prep team.  Doesn't quite work as well I don't think but Banks is a much bigger actress then the other actors
    • I also think this eliminates certain aspects of the books about 13 which I'm not sure I like.  I know I said I was going into this without the books in mind but this popped into my head
  • Why is Gale in this room?
  • Abernathy is another character I like.  He feels real like Joanna did in Catching Fire
  • Interesting that they kept Pollux in this film when the Avox were ignored in the first to flicks and had semi-important roles
    • Elden Henson is an interesting casting.  I liked him as Foggy in Dare Devil
  • I do not like the casting of Cressida, too young in my opinion.  Guess this is why I am not a casting director though
  • BOY SCOUT SALUTE!
  • I like the actor Robert Knepper, he usually plays a good bad guy
  • Where is Hawkeye or Oliver Queen when you need them?
  • Did they just shoot the planes down onto the hospital?
  • UGGG, her voice is enough to make me side with the Capital!
  • Someone watched Starship Troopers.  "Want to know more?"
  • Do the ends justify the means?  Is that a question that Katniss is asking herself?
  • I bash young Katniss a lot, both in the movie and book reviews, but she is just so unlikeable. She sulks like a teenager but then wants to be treated differently.  She loves Peeta and wants him saved but is constantly dragging Gale along.  She wants revolution but then gets made when the rebels don't morn the losses.  I guess that is a part of being a teenager but I don't like it
  • Wow....Gale is even worse with women then I am...and that boggles the mind
  • Peeta once again the voice of reason and saving everyone
  • Why hasn't anyone said "Bring the rain" or "GO GO GO" as of yet during these bombings?
  • I actually don't want to see the battle to rescue Peeta, Joanna and the others strangely.  It feels out of place and I feel like the Finnick story is being overshadowed.  What Snow did is very important but what do I know
  • Man Donald Sutherland is amazing 
  • Wow, they did an amazing job of making Peeta look completely destroyed
  • That was the best acting Jennifer has done the entire flick, loved the bugged out eyes
  • The uniforms, the speech on the balcony, very German like
    • I don't think they were going for that but it just hit me it like that
Overall I enjoyed this flick if it wasn't for a certain actress.  I don't know why I hate her so much but she is awful!  I don't like her as a personality or an actress and I can't get over it.  Sadly it hurts my rating of the flick and I'm sorry about that.  6/10 so slightly below the IMDB rating.  I feel like they added a bunch of filler to make this into two movies so that they can get more money...which I can't blame them for.  It is all about making money but they needed to make it good and I feel like they didn't.  Felt like a midseason episode of a TV show, a little plot advancement but a bunch of filler.

I liked the job they did making Peeta look beating and destroyed but my biggest complaint is that they talked over Finnick giving out the secrets of the Capital.  I feel like it was important but they couldn't have someone overshadow Katniss I guess.  We had to watch her "act" and then make her the distraction.  Whatever.

Overall probably would have rated it higher if it wasn't for some acting in the flick.  If you like the series check it out.  The series is getting better as it goes.  

No comments: