2017/09/29

Movie Review: Night of the Hunter




Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have come across this entry.  Today (9/13) I am checking out the flick Night of the Hunter from 1955.  It stars Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters and Lillian Gish.  "A religious fanatic marries a gullible widow whose young children are reluctant to tell him where their real daddy hid $10,000 he'd stolen in a robbery."  I am not sure why this is on my list to watch but it is so I'm watching.  IMDB gives it an 8/10 so lets see what happens.

  • Good grief floating heads of kids are even more creepy than kids usually are
  • Did that camera just shake?  Yeah, the camera work is weird
  • Wait..the lord tells you who to rob?
  • Nice finger tats bro
  • Yeah they'll never be able to follow you if you drive through the fence, it'll look like you hid
  • People would be screaming if they pointed a gun at persons head like that
  • Peter Graves is so young!
  • They are singing a song about a guy hanging!?!  WHAT THE FUCK?
  • Man preachers wear weird creepy hats, it is how you know they're evil I guess.  It is a black hat and that means bad guy in old movies
  • Yeah, this preacher man is a con man like most of them
  • He says boy a lot
  • I don't think anyone has EVER wanted a smidgen of your fudge sister!
  • Where are the guys?  Seems all women
  • Yeah, you eat fudge if you don't like it boy!
  • Here comes creepy preacher man, nope just creepy mom and fudge lady dancing...I think I'd rather have creepy preacher man...and there he is!
  • In a week they're getting married?
  • She finds a switch blade in the preachers pocket and that doesn't seem weird?
  • What cussing?  When did he cuss?  
  • Yeah, how dare you ask for face point lady
  • Mulish as a sheep?  That...does that make sense?
  • Nothing can break horsehair....that is some really clear water!
  • You know, the one stone
  • Ha ha, the old timey run!  I go after my dogs like that to mess with them
  • Was that a gun?  Nope just a door coming down
  • Slow swamp walking?
  • I've never seen someone have more trouble putting someone in a boat
  • WTF?  That is suppose to be the kid singing?
  • Nice fake spiderweb
  • Nice fake frog sound
  • Always Gypsies
  • Ah this is where the movie drags
  • So he is going away from home so you go back home kids....or continue the same way I guess...
  • Is this the same movie?
What the hell was that ending?  The first 2/3 was fine for what it was, actually kind of enjoyable...then suddenly it was weird orphanage but not weirdness.  Nope, I didn't like that ending at all.  I felt like it just lost its story there near the end.  That it didn't know where to go with the story once the kids got on the river.  I can understand that, it isn't always easy to write that third act.  You see it a lot in films but this just lost it.

I guess I will give it a 6/10.  Would have been higher but I hated that ending, hated it.  Everything was fine enough for what it was but that ending...good grief it last me in the last 20 minutes or so!

No comments: