2017/09/18

Movie Review: IT (2017)


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have found this entry.  Recently I finally got a chance to see the new modern version of Stephen Kings novel IT.  If you know me you know I am a huge fan of the book.  I read the book several times, usually around this time of year because I enjoyed it this much.  It was the first book I read of Kings actually when I was in Junior High.  I enjoyed the the 1990 miniseries but it was a TV miniseries so this should be a better representation of the novel....hopefully.  As of 9/17/2017 it has a 8/10 over on IMDB.  Because I'm not writing this as I watch it this will be a Good, bad and ugly review!

THE GOOD

  • Just seeing a more true version of the film is a good thing.
  • Several things that were left out of the mini-series was included in the flick including Neibolt St were included in the film which I really liked although that is going to show up in the bad as well.
  • I feel they did a good job in Pennywise.  I still like Tim Curry's version but it was well done and probably more scary than the TV version (more on this later as well)
  • The kids (Minus one thing) was well done.  The kid from Stranger Things and Beverly probably stole the show
  • The changes that were made for the movie weren't too distracting (More on this)
  • Beverly's dad was done perfectly!
  • Georgie, being such a young actor, was perfect and honestly probably the best part of the flick.  If he had more scenes I'd say he was the star
  • I was extremely happy to see Ben more heavyset and a little more of his stuff from the book like the "H" in his belly and the slashes in Neibolt street
  • The slide projector scene was REALLY cool
The Bad
  • A few of the things were overdone in the flick.  The swearing of the kids was a little over the top.  I feel like I was a little older before I started swearing every other word
  • They also did the bit where the background music suddenly slowed down and stopped when something scary was happening way to often.  It was cool at first but after a few times it annoyed me
  • I feel like a few of the important things weren't in the flick.  No werewolf or mummy yet aspects of them were used (both on Ben actually).  
  • I wish there was more to the Neibolt street, in my head there was more to it in the book and a very cool part of the initial Losers club
  • I didn't like the kid who played Eddie.  I didn't get the feeling that the kid was really worried about getting sick and what not.  They implied it but again it is such an important part of the character I felt it was missing.  
  • Now that I type that I feel that each kid, minus Bev, were missing things and a little one dimensional.  
  • Several important things were missing in the flick.  The werewolf and mummy for example but more importantly the important of Silver the bike and the silver earrings and what not that they use to beat IT.  Without the werewolf it makes sense to leave it out but it is such an important part of the book it seemed wrong not to have that.
  • I felt that they focused too much on Beverly and made it more of her story instead of Bills.  
  • Eddie's leaper wasn't anything like I envisioned, too zombie like for my like tastes
  • Beverly looked too much like Pennywise for me, which I wonder if it is going to lead to something
The Ugly

  • There isn't much I can put on this list.  It was well done but the biggest problem was that we see Pennywise WAY too much.  It seemed like every other scene had the clown in it.  Perhaps it is because it moves quicker then the book or miniseries that it seemed that way.  But I feel like less would have been more, with more non-Pennywise scares that had Pennywise involved. Then a glimpse of the clown.  More teasing like Jaws and less in your face
I enjoyed it but not quite as much as the IMDB people.  I'd give it a 7/10.  Enjoyable for sure and something that I feel like I might like on a second viewing.  I think I wanted more of the book so I was slightly disappointed but that is probably my fault.  It is enjoyable for sure.  Worth checking out and something I'd recommend everyone go see.


No comments: