2017/09/15

Movie Review: The Mummy (2017)


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have come across this entry. Today, 9/10/17, I'm checking out the 2017 version of The Mummy.  It stars Tom Cruise, Sofia Boutella and Annabelle Wallis.  "An ancient princess is awakened from her crypt beneath the desert, bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia, and terrors that defy human comprehension."  It currently has a 5.6 on IMDB, which seems low but we shall see.
  • A graveyard found under London?  I'm shocked (not really, probably very realistic)
  • Russell Crowe isn't exactly the person I'd pick as a narrator
  • Wait...so this chick is possessed by the Devil right?  Because I saw that happen in Doctor Who what with the writing appearing and what not
  • Are they just randomly shooting things?
  • Never say slip in and slip out, that is basically saying what is the worst that can happen
  • I like Jake Johnson, he is good in his roles
  • Tom Cruise hasn't aged for years has he
  • Yep, I'd be leaving if that many spiders suddenly showed up.
  • Wow that lady is a bitch, I'd probably shove her into the pit...by accident of course
  • That is a lot of crows...or ravens perhaps...couldn't tell
  • I don't think I'd get into a plane with that thing
  • It looks like the bit is effecting Vail, because spiders are EVIL!
  • And he is dead, way to go....nope not dead...just possessed....or perhaps a zombie
  • That is a shit ton of birds
  • For the record, I'm 30 minutes in and not hating this at all
  • Can you parachute out of a twisting plane?
  • No one is shocked that dead guy is up and not dead?
  • Do these guys not watch movies?  If you see a mummy you don't investigate you run
  • So she is like a zombie mummy queen
  • Yeah, I like this character, Vail is easily my favorite character thus far
  • That...that is a lot of rats
  • Yep zombie mummy queen, very interesting 
  • Damn, Cruise has really straight teeth
  • Awkward!
  • I am really enjoying this flick, zombie mummies are cool!
  • Really?  They are going to capture her?  Because that always works well
  • Of course, take her to where the blade and stone are near each other, why not
  • Well she has a point, when she kills you, you will know what is beyond the veil
  • Why do mummies always control bugs?
  • Ah yes, Dr. Jekyll, nice addition to the story and to what they're calling the "Dark Universe"
  • Wait...wasn't that the book from the 1999 Mummy flick?
  • And the new spawns begin
  • I don't think guns are going to stop her at this point, she seems...upset
  • Zombielands Cardio rule really fits into any movie world I notice
  • Nice, the face in the sand bit from the other trilogy
  • That is a lot of mummbies (zombie and mummy combined)
  • I wonder, can she control all undead or just mummies
  • seriously why are there so many mummies under London?
  • I don't think beating him up is going to take the pain away...but I could be wrong
  • That might have been the most unsexy tongue lick in the history of tongue licks
  • Did he just become a living god?
  • Doesn't evil call us all all the time?
That wasn't horrible at all.  Actually I really enjoyed the flick.  It had really good pacing most of the time and even at two hours I didn't feel at any point like "my god is this over yet" which is often the case with these flicks.

I honestly can't say anything bad about this flick based on what the flick is.  It is an action flick so if you go in looking for more you are going to be disappointed.  

The acting was what you would expect, nothing out of this world but very solid.  Johnson has amazing comedic timing with Cruise and Crowe fit the role of Dr. Hyde perfectly.  The two female leads were also cast well in their roles.  The mummy lady was very good and came off as sexy yet terrifying and her walk through London as the sand storm hit was shot beautify. 

I guess overall I'd give it a 7/10.  I think people were expecting something different from this as I don't know why the low rating of 5.6.  I struggled between 6 & 7 but since I can't find anything to knock the flick for I went with my average of 7.  Average fun action flick that is worth checking out at some point.  Maybe RedBox or HBO or Netflix.  I don't think I'd buy it...yet.  Perhaps if they continue with the "Dark Universe" a box set might be worth picking up.  

Until next time...abyssinia!

No comments: