2017/09/09

Movie Review: Opening Night (2016)


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have come across this flick.  Today (9/8/17) I am checking out the flick Opening Night.  "A failed Broadway singer who now works as a production manager must save opening night on his new production by wrangling his eccentric cast and crew."  It stars Topher Grace, Alona Tal and Lauren Lapkus.  This is a flick I came across because of my future (or present depending on when this gets posted) bride.  I don't know anything about it.  It has an interesting cast so it could be entertaining.

  • Already a love story aspect, interesting
  • Is this how theater people really are?  No wonder I never got involved in it
  • I would blow my brains out if this is how my life was, I really would
  • And Rob Riggle shows up and the flick picks up!  LOVE HIM!
  • Anne Heche?  Did she have work done?
  • Uggg, Paul Sheer shows up and the show goes down
  • Wait...is JC gay or not?  I'm confused...should I care?
  • I would go see this show I think
  • If this ever happened in real life I would die...either from embarrassment or because I've always wanted a bunch of people to burst into song
  • Topher does look a little like a muppet
  • I didn't know Lauren Lapkus but I am a big fan of her
  • Did someone shake her at the end of that song?
  • Water was flying everywhere?  GOOD GRIEF!
  • This is the best scene ever!  I should have wrote some of those insults down!
  • Why doesn't Topher act more?  He is always good
  • Good grief I just laughed at Paul Sheer...I feel horrible
  • DONKEYS...PENETRATING HUMANS!!
  • Ryan Gosslings mom?
  • Are they have seizures?
  • This isn't a laugh out loud funny but it making me laugh, mostly Digg and Margherita
  • Is he just going to go onstage and sing?  Randomly?
  • Yep...that is what he is doing....strange
  • If only life actually happened this way
  • Damn it I laughed at Sheer again
I have to say that was fun.  Over on IMDB it has a 6.6/10, I will go a little higher and give it a 7/10. If you're a theater person you will probably understand it.  I personally figure it is overestimated on how these people really are but it was fun.  

The performances of everyone in this flick made the movie.   I really want to give it a higher score because of everything...fuck it...I say it is a 8/10.  I actually really enjoyed this for what it was.  Part musical, part love story and just fun. 

I cannot pick anything bad about this flick which says something.  Overall if you can find a copy of this do it.  It is on Amazon right now and you should rent it.  Actually I just found out it is on Netflix at this moment so go watch it.  I recommend this for a flick that is just good humor, not laugh out loud humor (well one scene for me) but just good make you smile fun.  Until next time....abyssinia!

I assume this is how I look when I smile...slightly evil

No comments: