2016/05/01

Movie Review: Batman vs. Superman....BATMAN WINS!


Good morning, good afternoon or good evening, whenever it is you happen to be reading this.  I FINALLY got a chance to see this flick.  

Let me start of by saying that I enjoyed the flick.  Was it perfect?  Of course not but it was better than I expected.  Over on IMDB as of tonight, 4/30, it has a rating of 7.2.  I'd give it a solid 7 almost an 8.  

Lets start with the good.  The main actors, Ben and Henry, were amazing.  I thought that Ben was great in his role of grizzled angry bitter Batman while Henry did another great job was Superman. Throw in Amy Adams, Jesse Eisenberg, Laurence Fishburne and Holly Hunter and it was a great cast.  That isn't to say that I thought everyones character was good but everyone did a good job with what they were given.

I also thought, for the most part, it was a good film visually.  Early on they did do a few too many artsy shots for my taste but films wonderfully.  The effects were also very well done.  I didn't think at any point things seemed out of place or green screened.

Also the fight scenes were awesome.  I think my favorite was the "dream" fight scene with Batman and Supermans agents.  Batman fighting and shooting while the weird winged soldiers were grabbing people was amazing.  Ben was amazing was Batsy!



Now onto my few bad points.

Jeremy Irons was just out of place.  This version of Alfred as "Q" and what not just didn't fit for me. I felt he was too friendly with Batman with some of his comments.  

I didn't like the inclusion of Wonder Woman.  It felt forced to include here.  Also how does her weapon hurt Doomsday even though it is only Kryptonian weapons that can.  Does that mean her weapon is of Krypton?  I'm still not sold on Wonder Woman in general.  She just didn't feel like WW to me.

Next let me talk about Luthor.  I liked how Jesse performed what he was given but I didn't like it.  I think my opinion of Luthor is clouded by how wonderful a job that Clancy Brown did in the animated universe years ago.  My wonderful girlfriend and I had a long debate that she liked the change and that it is more realistic that he would have ticks and idiosyncrasies like Luthor did in the film.  For me it just didn't feel like Luthor.    A great character but not what I think of as Luthor.



Next the flick is long.  151 minutes long.  Throw in trailers and what not and it was nearly a 3 hour movie going experience.  LONG!  The weird thing there weren't a lot of scenes they could remove. Maybe the email scene and airplane scene.  The stuff about the staff in the water but we're looking at 5 minutes, maybe 10.  

Oh one more complaint.  The fact that Grant Gustin isn't the Flash makes me sad.  Grant is amazing. I know the two Universe are different but with Grant and Stephen Amell doing amazing jobs in the roles of Barry and Oliver respectfully it makes me kind of sad.


Overall I enjoyed it and I'd like to see the supposed R rated version that might be released on DVD. Not sure where things will go with the upcoming Suicide Squad and Justice League flicks.  Oh and if you saw the flick you know that Batman wins which everyone knew would be the outcome because he is awesome!


No comments: