2016/05/19

Movie Review: The Boss


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening....whenever it is you're reading this.  I am back with yet another movie review.  This time I checked out The Boss.  It stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Bell and Peter Dinklage.  "A titan of industry is sent to prison after she's caught insider trading. When she emerges ready to rebrand herself as America's latest sweetheart, not everyone she screwed over is so quick to forgive and forget."  I wanted to see this earlier so I'm glad to get to see this flick.  Over on IMDB as of 5/16 it has a 5.3 on IMDB.  Lets find out who really is...The Boss!
  • Is this a wrestling event?  A rock concert?

  • Well this is a weird way to introduce the character
  • Cedric Yarbrough is great as usual
  • Gross midgets are gross
  • Did she just make her pilot take his shirt off?  Is that legal?
  • Peter Dinklage is creepy 
  • What is up with all her weird turtlenecks
  • Her hair is kind of annoying 
  • Tyler Labine is good in everything he does.  Thus far this has a great supporting cast
  • Damn you Tito!
  • How did the bed do that?!
  • Why is she looking at her lady parts?

  • The lowest, weirdest guys are in IT?  Yeah...that is probably right
  • It does look like a holy shit brownie
  • Are they going to do a cookie competition thing?
  • Yep they are
  • Helen is horrible
  • How great is Melissa McCarthy!
  • Are they the guardian angels now?

  • Nothing wrong with a pity date, take what you can get!
  • Cumbersnatch...now that is funny!
  • SHE IS GOING TO GET LITTLE PERSON SYNDROME!  RUN CLAIRE!!
  • Running from Family is natural for some people
  • Is Ida modeled off Paula Deen

  • A sword fight with a little person...weird
Well that was better than I expected.  I mean I like Melissa in anything I've seen her in so it shouldn't surprise me.  Obviously fans didn't love it and I didn't either.  I enjoyed it but it was typical Melissa stuff, which isn't bad, but this wasn't great either.  I give it a 6/10 personally.

Melissa is hilarious when the jokes hit but when they don't you can feel it too.  Several jokes fell flat including the sexual stuff with Dinklage.  In fact the entire storyline with Dinklage was poor.  I would have gone with a different villain, probably the Kathy Bates character and had the Dinklage character in that small role.  I also felt the Helen storyline was a little forced, especially the final bit with the couch.

I also would have included a little more with the Darlings being "thugs" or Melissa teaching them to be cut throat but that is just me.  I thought the fight between the two groups was very funny, although felt very Adam McKay influenced who was one of the producers.

Overall it was enjoyable and I laughed or chuckled several times.  If you like Melissa and her usual physical dirty humor you'll enjoy it.  If you don't I'd skip this one.  Until next time remember, no matter what you're doing in life...


No comments: