2016/05/07

Captain America Civil War: A Review



Marvels most recent film came out this week with Captain America: Civil War.  "Political interference in the Avengers' activities causes a rift between former allies Captain America and Iron Man."  It stars Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr. and Scarlett Johansson.  

The idea is that the Government decides that the Avengers are given too much freedom and that they need to be controlled by, I believe, the UN.  Basically they will be told where and when to go fight and who.  Iron Man wants this after a woman gives him a picture of her son who died.  Captain America disagrees and refuses to sign along with Hawkeye, Falcon and Scarlet Witch.  They then go to war with each other after someone attacks the UN signing of the new law.  

There is a brief summary of the plot without many spoilers.  There will be more below so you've been warned.



I am still torn on this flick.  This starts, I believe, Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  It introduced the fan favorite Spider-Man to the MCU making it his debut.  It also introduced Black Panther expanding the MCU a little more.  



Overall I enjoyed the film.  The inclusion of Spidey and Ant-Man I enjoyed quite a bit.  This was the first time I felt they got Spidey right.  The constant talking and jokes and quips and such were done well and it felt right with Tom Holland doing it.  The past film versions just didn't feel quite right.



I also enjoyed the more serious Iron Man even though I missed his smart ass persona as well.  It was nice to see things move forward character wise as I felt things were a little stale in Avengers 2. Although I feel that Scarlet Witch had a more lasting effect on Iron Man then the others which I hope they play off more in the future.

I thought SOME of the CGI was done well but there is SO much of it.  I also felt that there was too much shaky cam usage, especially during the first fight scene.  I feel that it is slowly becoming a standard in action flicks and I'm not a fan it.  

I also feel that there were a few really weird shots...but this might be due to us being a little close to the screen and off to the side.  There was one scene in particular that involved Capt and Black Widow in a church that had each in a solo shot but each one is on one side of the screen if that makes sense. Just a weird choice of camera shots.

Overall it was enjoyable if not a little long which is just the norm in movies anymore.  I felt that a few scenes went a little long including the car chase where Panther shows up.  There also was the seemingly pointless introduction of Martin Freemans character of Everett K. Ross.  I'm sure we'll learn more about this character as the MCU advances.  

If you're a fan of the MCU, and lets be honest who isn't at this point, check it out.  If you can see it in IMAX I think it'd be very good in the large print format.  Overall I give it a 7/10, nothing overly amazing but just yet another stepping stone in the MCU.



No comments: