2015/08/02

Movie Review: Brazil


This time I'll be reviewing Brazil.  Recently at work we had a conversation about movies where the bad guy wins.  I asked my friends on the Facebook and this is one of the movies that came up.  I've never seen it, as I am not a huge fan of Terry's flicks.  Usually a little out there for me...and that is saying something.  As of 8/1 it has a 8.0 over on the IMDB.  As always I'll try to avoid spoilers...even though it is a 30 year old movie and then give you my full thoughts after my thoughts as I watch the flick.  The flick stars Jonathan Pryce, Kim Greist and Robert De Niro.  "A bureaucrat in a retro-future world tries to correct an administrative error and himself becomes an enemy of the state."  Enough of the opening credits lets get to this flick!

  • Ah so this is where Walter White got the idea how to kill the fly
  • Was that a Dalek in the background of the news report?
  • Wow Santa is much different "somewhere in the 20th century"
  • You've got to respect their control techniques
  • Wait...did I download the Apple by accident?  That face paint sure looks like it.  
  • Remember earlier when I said I didn't care for Terry Gilliam flicks, yeah I still don't
  • I have to say it is quite the odd cast!  
  • I do like the nuanced acting in the film
    • Sorry the sarcasm just flows out sometimes
  • I feel like this is the non musical version of the Apple but not nearly as funny/entertaining bad
  • Good grief this flick is over two hours?  
  • Wow that is a great mustache
  • Wow, Smee is the most subtle performance thus far.  
  • Good grief, I am having a birthday during this "check" scene
  • Was that guy having sex with that display?  
  • I am not nearly drunk enough for this flick
  • I feel like very scene is twice or three times as long as it needs to be.  I get escapism flicks and anti authority and what not but good grief!
  • Who is the samurai?  What is going on?  Is this what it feels like to be on acid?  
  • WTF?  I didn't understand a god damn thing that person just "sang"
  • I feel like I'm watching sister film to Blade Runner.  Both flicks people seem to love that I do not
  • I don't get it.  Is this a comedy?  Dark comedy?  Satire?  Commentary on Society?  IMDB has it listed as Sci-fi but that doesn't seem right.  Dystopian future for sure but I can't figure out if it is more or not
  • See I don't get it, is the desk scene suppose to be funny?  What about Lime?  Funny?
  • Are they driving through a mall?  Is this Blues Brothers suddenly?
  • Wait....the samurai represented the police?
  • Is he flooding their suit with...that is just wrong!
  • I think my friend was right, the bad guy won, the fact that the director got this movie made and released!  BAM!  
  • That was one of the most awkward kisses in history
    • Most likely on purpose but on many levels
  • What was the purpose of the car chase/house scene?  
  • Julian Doyle should be ashamed of this editing
  • She suddenly loves him?  
  • Why does Tuttle have a bedroll on his pack?
  • Why didn't they go back up the wires instead of out the front?
  • When did they plant explosives?  
  • I think the acid is kicking back in, what just happened with the papers?  Is this a fight club thing?
  • I don't understand a think that just happened after he was rescued....oh wait.....
Perhaps I'm in the wrong mood for this film but I did not enjoy this film at all.  2/10 from me.  I give it that much because visually it was well done.  I'll give Gilliam that, his films are always visually well done.  Beyond that I am not a fan.

Perhaps I am not "smart" enough to get Gilliam's films.  Perhaps they are too deep for my simple mind.  

Honestly though I was bored throughout the movie and aside from the visuals I have nothing good to say.  That isn't true, the actors did the best they could with what they were given.  I don't blame them for a script and directing and editing that seems subpar.  

I know it is a cult hit but good grief that was bad in my humble opinion.  I have friends who like it and to each their own but that is right up there with one of the worst movies I've sat through.  Sorry boys and girls but well this is my blog and its all about my opinions.  

Until next time....I...I wanted to say something from/about the movie here but I honestly can't think of anything worth it.  That is all folks.  Abyssinia!

No comments: