2015/08/15

Movie Review: Jokesters




Hello again boys and girls!  I am back with another movie review.  This time a friend recommended I check out this flick Jokesters.  My friend knows the director but that won't stop me from honest.  It currently has a 3.5 over on IMDB as of 8/15.  "Four friends prank a Cabin in the Woods nightmare on their friend's honeymoon so well that it actually becomes The Cabin in the Woods horror in real life." It stars Nathan Reid, Gabriel Tigerman and Luis Jose Lopez.  I have no idea what to expect from this flick...all I have to say is getting me to watch this flick better not be a prank!
  • Is it wrong that I already want these four guys to die?
  • Is that the new Ghostface mask?  I like it better then the one on the Scream TV Series
  • That is some foreshadowing I bet
  • The audio is a little poor here, but it happens in these POV movies at times
  • I hate weddings even in movies
  • Nick's "speech" is the reason I don't do speeches at weddings, people don't get my jokes either Nicky boy
  • Quite a few jump cuts thus far
  • I seriously want to hurt these guys!
  • Wait...they know the show but they don't recognize the guys?
  • Where is the store owner?  
  • I wonder if this is scripted or not
  • Are they dead yet?  WHY NOT!  Does half skull face need help?
  • Wait...is he going to tape is friend having sexual relations with his new bride?  With friends like this who needs killers...or something like that.
  • Wouldn't there be guns in a hunting cabin?
  • That roof bit is actually really well shot in that you wouldn't be able to see him up there.  Nice
  • This is kind of creepy the way they are spying on their friends wife undressing and what not
  • Seriously creepy!
  • Boobs do equal ratings typically
  • There we go!
  • The pacing has gone off the rails here
  • Its weird, some of the acting is really well done/realistic but others seems horrible/fake
  • The other guys are a little too excited about the apology scene!
  • She speaks the truth
  • Finally people start logically in a horror movie
  • CALLED IT!
  • Well...that escalated quickly!
Hmmm, what to say about this film.  Lets start with a rating.  I'll give it a middle ground 5/10.  I'll talk about the good points.  For a POV flick it was really well shot.  The acting, for the most part, was really well done as well.

Onto the bad parts.  The pacing was really bad.  The store scene should have been cut completely, it did nothing to further plot or characters and I fell it was there just to give a brief boob shot.  Also the wedding stuff went a little long at the beginning.  The description of the movie also fails a little.  It isn't Cabin in the Woods as much as it is You're Next or The Strangers...much more like the Strangers.

Then there is the end.  Very abrupt and odd.  I was digging the flick at points but the end was just out of the blue.  I felt like I was suddenly watching a Rampage clone.  Or an M. Night Shyamalan movie with a twist ending that doesn't quite make sense.  I'd have liked to see a slightly better ending or something to go back to and say "of course because of this" that is what makes twists work.  This just felt like they had no ending so psycho dad/son combo works.  

It isn't nearly as bad as the people have said online, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.  Slightly better pacing, slightly better ending and I think this could have been something really good.  The fact that they're making a second one worries me a bit.  You could make it non-POV and have Nick hunting people like the dad who was a jerk to him, or the red head (also the news anchor?) and stuff like that in a more typical horror style flick.  Yeah it will end up being a bit Scream like but it could work.  

Check it out if you like POV/Horror/Found footage stuff.  Oh it has a good running time at 80 minutes but a poorly paced 80 minutes.  

There you go folks.  Until next time....don't go into the woods!  As always...Abyssinia!

No comments: