2015/08/02

Movie Review: Justice League: Gods and Monsters


Up this time for review is the animated DCU flick Justice League: Gods and Monsters.  It has the voice acting talent of Benjamin Bratt, Michael C. Hall and Tamara Taylor.  "In an alternate universe, very different versions of DC's Trinity (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman), who operate outside of the law, are framed for murders of prominent scientist and the government decides to take them out."  As of 7/31 on IMDB this has a 7.0 rating.  Here we go:
  • The worst search squad ever!
  • Wait....did Batman just float?
  • And kill?  Yep...alt universe for sure
  • Wait...he is a vampire?  BATMAN IS A VAMPIRE?  WHAT THE....
  • Wonder Woman sure has a weird helmet
  • It has only happened twice and it is weird to see Bats float/fly
  • The people know Batman is a vampire?  I...um...wow
  • Is this a retelling of the Justice Lords?
  • A lot of violence already in this film.  Now I see why it is PG-13!
  • It is odd to see such drastically different versions of the Trinity
  • Also very odd to see so many different characters not as their characters.  Victor Fries, Ray Palmer, Lex Luthor and others
  • MANBAT!  I just realized the name Kirk Langstrom
  • This Alt universe is messing with me
  • I am having a hard time pinning down the characters since they aren't the versions we're used to
  • Game of Thrones meets the DC Universe?
  • The violence level in this off the charts for an animated flick!
  • I am quite confused by this film, it is all over the place
  • That is why all of this happened?  
  • This government needs the helicopters from the latest Terminator movie, they could do almost anything
  • Kirk is no Bruce
  • I always thought the boom tubes were kind of stupid, I never saw this use of them, nice
  • Is that Luthor or Professor X?
  • I made it through this entire review without mentioning how much I hated Kirks hair....damn it!

Off the bat (pun unintended) I liked the voice acting in this flick.  Yeah some of it is weird but well done.  It is odd that the characters are SO different.  I know back in the 90's they wanted to redesign the Justice League but DC said no.  Now they have in more ways then one.  However Wonder Woman feels more like Hawkgirl then a redesigned Wonder Woman.  The inclusion of Darkseid, High Father and company seemed like it was their way of trying to build a new DC Universe.  I am not sure I like this idea.  There is rumors of a TV show and a second movie.  A one off I don't mind but the idea of the characters that have been around for 50+ years getting such a drastic overhaul is a bit shocking.  

Once again DC shows that they can do their animated universe well, their TV universe shows well but their movie universe always struggles.  

I am going with a 6/10 for my rating.  The flick tries to do too much.  Also they make the Justice League just a little too stupid.  Falling for everything and walking right into the "bad" guys hands. But then again it isn't the JL we all know and love.  

If you like the DCAU (is that right...do they call it that?) it is worth watching.  I hope this doesn't stop the other DC Time Line from getting flicks though. 

That is it for now, this is the Fat Man signing off....Abyssinia!

No comments: