2015/08/02

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation or Impossible to watch another one of these


A special review today as I ventured out on the weekend to watch Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation.  As of today it has an IMDB rating of 8.1.  This entry into the series stars Tom Cruise, Rebecca Ferguson and Jeremy Renner.  "Ethan and team take on their most impossible mission yet, eradicating the Syndicate - an International rogue organization as highly skilled as they are, committed to destroying the IMF."   These comments were written down in the theaters so I am sure I missed some snide comments....er....interesting comments...or if they'll even make sense/are in order.  And having just copied and pasted the description from IMDB isn't this plot the same as the last one?  Also 2 hours is a little long don't you think?  Or is it?  Let's go find out!
  • I will start this off by saying I don't really remember anything but the first flick so any inside references will be missed unless it is a reference to Emilio Estevez
  • Tom Cruise looks pretty good for a fifty something year old.  A old around the eyes
  • Is that Michael Douglas from Falling Down?  D-FENS!
  • Ah yes the usual awkward sexual tension that goes with spying
  • I feel like we've seen this man hunt for Ethan Hunt before.  
  • Shouldn't someone be yelling GO GO GO!
  • That is one awful beard Tommy Boy
  • Was that product placement for Microsoft?
  • I wrote here something about Simon Peggs neck.  Did I want to neck with him?  Is it too big or small or long or something...damn it my hand writing sucks and is worse in the dark
  • Simon Pegg has become the best part of this series
  • They must have paid a lot of the key lock tool thing, having seen it several times
  • Ethan must be getting old...but this fight over the stage is pretty cool
  • As Triple H says, always have a plan B
  • Never trust someone in yellow
  • More like Mission: Impossible - Conspiracy Theory
  • Is Ilsa suppose to be a Bond Girl like character?
  • World craziest water slide perhaps?  
  • I want my windows to unlock my car!
  • BMW makes a damn nice car it seems
  • I am having flashbacks to the horrible motorcycle chase scene in #3
  • Everyone is playing everyone, I think I need a score card
  • Mask time?
  • Human Claymore?  Like Swordfish?  Really?
  • Simon Pegg is really the star of this flick!  Every time he is on the screen you are reminded how great he is.
I think we'll start with my score.  7.5 out of 10.  I enjoyed it but it had its flaws.  First off it was long. Right around 2 hours.  Second quite a few things felt like old hat.  Motorcycle chase, random car chase, masks, decrypting lists.  It is like they put the first four flicks into a blender and what came out was this one.  Second the bad guy felt like a mix of all the bad guys from the past as well and the acting by Sean Harris felt like he was trying to be Christoph Waltz, but a poor mans version.  

It seems to be the trend in Hollywood to have longer movies with longer scenes.  Normally I wouldn't mind this but often they end up being pointless.  The Mission Impossible flicks have always been full of those but this one felt like it had more then others.  

It is worth going to and enjoyable.  Great popcorn flick.  

Until next....this blog will self destruct in 3 seconds....Abyssinia!

No comments: