2016/09/21

Movie Review: The Boy



Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, whenever it is you're reading this.  Today I'm checking out The Boy (2016). As of 9/4/16 it has a 6/10 over in IMDB. It stars Lauren Cohan, Rupert Evans and James Russell.  "An American nanny is shocked that her new English family's boy is actually a life-sized doll. After she violates a list of strict rules, disturbing events make her believe that the doll is really alive."  That sounds...interesting...but I don't see anything about zombies so I might be confused seeing Maggie without them...

  • Perverted cabbie, nice start to a movie
  • Lauren sounds weird without her Southern or British accent
  • I'm pretty sure that first meeting would get me to leave right away...what with the fact that the woman is super creepy
  • It really is a doll...yeah I'd just turn around and leave...unless the pay was really good
  • Yeah...I'm pretty sure I'd leave even if the money was good
  • The traps?
  • And of course she has some dark past as well...sometimes movies try to hard.
  • Wait...he made a mess of his room?  I mean I know the concept above but still it is very odd
  • Yeah, pretty sure I'd be following them out after they behaved that way and the creepy old woman quoted the doctor "I'm so sorry"
  • And of course it storms night one
  • Is she going to kiss the painting?
  • Is the doll going to be in her room?
  • The doll is crying?  I'm so confused
  • Don't go in the attic...why would you go in the attic?
  • Did I mention she sounds really weird with a straight American accent?
  • THE CALLS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!
  • She does have an amazing smile
  • Where has Brams been?  And he suddenly shows up on the screen...which was weird
  • Insert Psycho knife attack sounds here
  • Is her hair cut weirdly suddenly
  • Go say sorry to Brahms and everything will be fine
  • Knew she shouldn't have messed with the attic
  • Should have taken a torch...flashlight....not a fire torch...that'd be weird!
  • The storm has passed, everything will be okay
  • The first thing I'd be doing is leaving, very quickly
  • Odd, that is an odd question...see what I did there
  • He is or was 10 years old?  I'm confused...wait it was the phone voices son I think
  • And of course the phone isn't working....till it does....with no one there....but a creepy kids voice
  • And the doll is officially moving around.  Much like Chucky, just put a trashcan and a brick over him and be done with it
  • Oh he made her a PB&J, that was very nice of him!
  • They are going to drown themselves?  Sleeping pills would be less extreme!  But then they'd be found
  • Never ask for that!  Never ask for a sign!
  • Oh this is starting to make more sense
  • Jesus she is doing the creepy prayer now?!
  • She is breaking rule number 1!  BEWARE THE WRATH OF BRAHMS!
  • No matter how good looking Lauren is this is the wrong level of crazy!
  • Oh no...the ex broke in
  • LANGUAGE!!
  • Well that isn't a good sound....
  • Well that actually gave me chills!
  • Wait...has he been hiding in the house all this time?
  • I did not see this coming at all....it was no spirit at all
  • Why is he trying to kill all of them...or is just the guys?
  • Smart playing off the "rules"
  • A gut stab is just mean!
That wasn't a bad movie at all.  I'd say it was a 7/10.  It was better then I had expected as I hadn't heard good things.

Not a lot of "plot holes" in the sense that things didn't make sense which is a good thing.  There were a lot of things that I didn't understand but came to make sense as the flick went on.

They foreshadowed a lot which was very good and the acting was very well done.  Everyone did a good job and Lauren gave a fantastic performance especially since she was acting with a doll for a portion of the flick

It isn't exactly how I'd have ended the flick, I'd have somehow forced Greta and Malcolm into being his new "parents" and continuing the "cycle" but that is just me.

However, at the end of the day not a bad horror/suspense flick!


No comments: