2016/09/12

Book Review: Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)


I found this book because it was on a list on Goodreads of the top Sci-Fi books.  The concept was interesting but honestly I found the book a difficult read for a few reasons:

1.  The use of British slang/spelling always throws me off just a bit
2.  I felt like I came into the book in the middle of it.  Terms were used that had no context at first.  You learned throughout the book what they meant (kind of, you had to assume a lot).
3.  The author used 20 words when 5 would have sufficed
4.  A LOT of characters

It was VERY wordy, and I am a Stephen King fan.  I found myself skimming quite often because of this.  Some people like this and I guess this is just a personal preference but at times cutting out words is not a bad thing, it is a good thing.

This also felt a little bit like Under the Dome.  They needed to give me a list of characters to remind me who some of these people were at times.  Characters were introduced then forgotten only to show back up.

I guess overall I'd say middle of the road for this book.  I liked it...well I liked the idea behind it.  The idea that a persons "soul" or personality/memories or whatever you want to call it can be transferred from body to body is a great Sci-Fi idea.  Then of course you have the rich flaunting it over the rest of the world.

However the execution just felt off to me.  Maybe I've read too many sequels recently or "modern" non-Sci-Fi books but I struggled with this one.  For it to be so high up on the list I found surprises me.

Overall...if you REALLY want a Sci-fi book there are worse books out there but this isn't something I'd run out to buy and read right now.

No comments: