2016/09/15

Movie Review: 30 Days of Night


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening....whnever it is you've found this entry.  Today I'm check out the 2007 flick 30 Days of Night.  It stars Josh Hartnett, Melissa George and Danny Huston. "After an Alaskan town is plunged into darkness for a month, it is attacked by a bloodthirsty gang of vampires."  I can't wait to see sparkly vampires devoring a town!!

  • A close up on Ben Foster is not the best way to start a flick I don't think
  • Look at those old phones!
  • 152 huh?  That will come back so will the inhaler I'm sure
  • The helicopter now damaged?  not a very good cop if he hasn't figured out its escape and communication going down
  • The fat old man dies first huh?
  • Boozes is illegal for a month?  That is crazy talk!
  • Why did she pull a gun of crazy guy?
  • Yeah I don't think Gus is going to answer
  • Are kids like veal for vampires?
  • Nice music for the first attack
  • This kind of non-linear storytelling works better in comics then movies at times, I felt confused for a few moments
  • They can outrun cars why didn't they this time?
  • Still a few pockets of resistance out there I guess
  • Where is Manu Bennett through all this?  
  • Did they bring food up to the attic?
  • Bye Ben Foster, we hardly knew you or cared about you in this flick
  • I think I'd just eat a bullet, honestly I think I would, at this point
  • A trap?
  • The leader of the vampires is fantastic since most of his acting is done with body language and facial expressions
  • Is the sheriff addicted to something?  Trying to figure out what is wrong with him
  • Cats playing with a mouse
  • Seriously where is Manu Bennett?
  • Wait...how did he turn?  Why did he turn?  The scratch?
  • And the infighting begins even worse, they'll die soon at this rate
  • Are the basic vampires, like Baldie McBloodyface unintelligent/drones.  You know just driven to feed and able to follow basic instructions from the leader?
  • With those two gone more food for the rest of them
  • Yeah look out, that will be real smart...surprised he didn't do that
  • Not sure if it is brilliant or the dumbest idea ever to move in the blizzard/snow
  • Did the sheriff not pick up his gun?
  • Wait..can they all talk "human"
  • Is "muffin monster" guy going to turn because of the scratch?
  • This movie feels really long...am I old when I think more and more movies are too long
  • Really bright in that store with no lights
  • Won't the vampires know the generator is running?
  • How did he survive the dynamite blast
  • How did Billy survive this long?  How did he know they were in the office?
  • Did he kill his family?!?!  OH MY GOD HE DID!
  • His house is really bright too
  • Knew someone was going into the muffin maker!
  • Of course he is going to try and get to her
  • So he is going to kill himself...so his girlfriend can live...without him?
  • That is the opposite of running
  • Baldie McBloodyface has a twin?
Well that wasn't a horrible movie.  I'd give it a 6/10.  Nothing great but sure wasn't horrible either.  

The acting wasn't bad, although some of the minor characters weren't great.  Harnett gave a decent performance but at points seemed uninspired.  I read that he was sick with mono for two weeks so that could be a reason but I felt in certain scenes he seemed....well bored.  It was the performance of Mark Boone Junior and the infected guy who gets killed in the police station that stood out for me. Ben Foster was good but didn't have a lot.

The story itself was very good but the actions of the characters at times didn't make sense and there were several plot holes that I saw.  The main one being that the humans shouldn't have been able to hide from the vamps.  Eben says something to the effect that he can smell their blood.  If that is true how did McBloodyface not smell them in the bathroom and/or attic when they were hiding?  Also how did the humans survive from a food and heat standpoint?  If all power was out even with kerosene stoves and heat I feel like they'd freeze and/or starve.  Also I don't understand why they felt they needed to move from the attic, perhaps I missed the logic but I didn't see it unless it was for food but that isn't what I understood.

The good was the amazing makeup for the vampires.  They were creepy and scary and that is what vampires are supposed to be.  I am not suppose to love the vampires which seems to be more the trend lately!

Overall not a bad movie but nothing special.  If you're looking for a decent flick this isn't a bad flick to check out.

Until next time, remember, the sun will come up tomorrow!


No comments: