2019/12/19

1991-01-13 Challenge Review

/

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, whenever it is you have found this entry.  Today I am checking out the Jan 13th 1991 Wrestling Challenge with Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon.  We are on the road to the Royal Rumble!  Let us see who this show went shall we!
  • These two had the best chemistry of any duo on wrestling ever
  • Tom Stone was on just about every show at this point I think
  • Duggan was in great shape at this point in his career
  • I think Stone got a portato in there
  • I am surprised the Powers of Pain never got a title run in either major company back in the day
  • I forget that Warlord was quite agile for a man of his size
  • I always liked Black Bart.  Remember watching him back in the GWF
  • It is weird to see Shane as a good guy but he really did have the white meat babyface look as they say
  • I like that they had guys like Bart and Barry Horowitz and Brooklyn Brawler back int he day.  You did not think they would win yet you always wondered
  • Such a weird time with the Ball and Chain
  • Bob Bradley is another of those usuals on TV
  • I love that they had Heenan off commentary when BBM was out there
  • It is amazing to think that BBM was well over 400 pounds at one point
  • I wonder if Sgt. enjoyed this era of his career.  I think I would want to be a heel, seems like much more fun
  • Spike Jones?  I thought that was a singer
  • We need guys like Tugboat in wrestling.  Now everyone looks the same
  • How drunk was that guy?!
  • How great was Sherri!
  • Quake dropkicking is always amazing
Another great show promoting the Royal Rumble.  Knowing what is coming it was a shock in a week back then!  I miss when it was only 4 PPV's a year and they built to them and it felt special.  Hell, I do not even know what the next big show is because they come as fast as the candy did at Lucy!  I like the old challenge betters because it had Heenan and Monsoon!

Results
  • Jim Duggan def. Tom Stone
  • Special Report:  Ultimate Warrior (WWF Champion)
  • Warlord def. Terry Davis via Submission
  • Shane Douglas def. Black Bart
  • Event Center:  Rick Martel/Jim Neidhart (Tag Team Champion)/Hercules/Butch/Honky Tonk Man
  • Big Boss Man def. Bob Bradley
  • Interview:  Sgt. Slaughter/Gen. Adnan
  • Tugboat def. Spike Jones
  • Event Center:  Marty Jannetty & Shawn Michaels/Ted DiBiase & Virgil
  • Royal Rumble Report:  Hulk Hogan/Jake Roberts/Smash/Hawk/Mr. Perfect (Intercontinental Champion)/Randy Savage & Sherri/Jim Neidhart & Bret Hart (Tag Team Champions)/Dusty Rhodes & Dustin Rhodes
  • Earthquake def. Don Steel
  • Event Center:  Bret Hart (Tag Team Champion)/Greg Valentine/Jimmy Snuka/Paul Roma/Hawk

No comments: