2019/12/23

Classic Wrestling Review: 1991-03-02 Power Hour


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening....whenever it is you have found this entry.  Today I am watching the March 2nd 1991 Power Hour!  WCW was not quite in its worst state yet but it was getting there.  Even though the Midnight Express are gone they still had some good tag teams yet the New Freebirds are your tag team champions at this point!  I was not watching WCW at this point so a lot of these matches and storylines are brand new to me.  And I get to watch Barry Windham take on El Gigante!  LETS GET TO THIS SHOW!!!
  • I mocked that the Freebirds are champions and the first team I see is the Royal Family?  REALLY!
  • It is not that the Royal Family is bad but good grief how did WCW let them run the Midnight Express off?
  • That was AEW ugly!
  • Paul E just mentioned the President of the United States first divorce!  
  • Z-Man comes on and my dog starts growling...even he knows an overrated guy when he sees one!
  • I always wondered how guys like Wright or Buddy Lee Parker made out money-wise back these days.  They were on almost every show!  Were they under contracts or just always brought in
  • That was a horrible bump by Zenk
  • Zenk is using the sleeper?  Interesting
  • How is it that Dustin looks as good in 1991 as he does in 2019?  
  • This enhancement talent is much better than half the AEW roster!
  • Get showing by Dustin but he is always a highlight of any show
  • That was supposed to show us Terry Taylor did not care about the match?  I do not get it
  • It is odd to think that Hayes thought he was over in 1991
  • Why did Doom try to cheat?  It does not make sense!  Just to break the team up I guess but just have a botched move
  • Yeah Thad Clark stands a chance....oh wait
  • This match has already taken too long, should be a boot followed by a powerbomb
  • ANDERSON HAS A STESCOPE!  
  • Nice showcase for Stinger and The Total Package
  • Here is the match I cannot wait to see!  El Gigante in action!!
  • 30 seconds...perfect use of the giant!
  • Loved that they made the giant seem dangerous by breaking Windham open with the claw
This is a perfect example of why WCW never really took off minus the brief nWo run.  Their roster was still good yet we see El Gigante, Z-Man and the Royal Family.  I know they have to try to make stars but when you have Terry Taylor, Bobby Eaton, Ricky Morton, Brad Armstrong, Sting, Luger, Flair, Anderson, Windham, Zbyszko, the Steiners to name a few without really thinking something is wrong!  The bright point of this match was, like I said above, Rhodes.  Go back and watch anything with Dustin Rhodes and tell me he is not the MVP of every promotion he is in!  I will wait.  Okay I lied I will not but its true.  Until next time....Abyssinia!

Results

  • Rip Morgan/Jacko Victory def. Dave Johson/John Peterson
  • Z-Man def. James Earl Wright via Submission
  • Dustin Rhodes def. Joe Cruz
  • JIP:  Terry Taylor/Brad Armstrong/Tim Horner def. Pat Rose/Rip Rogers/Steele
  • WNN:  Butch Reed & Ron Simmons break up
  • Sid Vicious def. Thad Clark
  • Sting/Lex Luger (US Champion) def. Magnum Force #1/Magnum Force #2 via Submission
  • El Gigante def. Barry Windham via DQ

No comments: