2018/04/09

Movie Review: A Quiet Place


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have come across this entry.  Today I am checking out the new flick A Quiet Place.  It currently, as of 4/8/18, has a rating of 8.2 with 23,698.  I will give my rating here, and I will say I agree it is right around 8.  




PROS

The acting in the flick is great.  While I have not seen the office or anything John Krasinski has done that I can think of he was pretty good.  I was impressed with everyone actually including the little kids who more than carried their share of the film.  

The CGI was excellent as well.  I will talk more about the monsters later.  

The sound track was excellent and made perfect use of natural sounds and the soundtrack to build the tension and boy was there tension.  I am pretty sure someone screamed during our viewing!  I will say I feel like my heart rate was up at times and even found myself leaning forward a time or two.

CONS (this section will have a spoiler so read at your risk)

There was one major plot hole that could easily have been fixed.  One of the major storylines is that Emily Blunt is with child.  No big deal right, I mean you could be with child before the aliens attack. NOPE!  She got pregnant AFTER the fact, 400ish days after the invasion even!  Honestly how stupid are you if you are having a baby, which are extremely loud, in a world where you have to be silent or you die.  This could have been fixed by saying it was 250 days, then it is possible she was just pregnant when it happened...otherwise it seems very irresponsible and foolish to me!

Another con is that they kind of set up that the electricity goes crazy when the monsters are around.  It happens several times to the lights in the house and even a flashlight from the kid...but not every time.  There is a really cool scene where the boy falls into the grain silo and his sister jump in to help.  Well the kid screamed when he fell so the monster went running.  They are using their flashlight and I'm 98% sure the flashlight did *NOT* flicker.  I was watching for it to see if the characters had put together this happened and used it as an early warning.  Suddenly the monster was in the silo and no flickering (If I missed this I am sorry).  

The other con, and it is not really a con exactly, is the monster was kind of hybrid of the monsters from Stranger Things, Cloverfield and Alien.  Very cool but I thought of stranger things almost immediately!

Overall this is a flick you should check out if you like intense thrillers.  I do not want to call it a horror flick because it is not scary as much as intense and then it scares you.  Yes there are jump scares but they only work because it is so damn intense.  

I don't know if this is a MUST SEE in the theater but you better have a really good sound system or you are missing out on an important character in the flick!

Until next time, this is the Fat Man, saying Abyssinia!

No comments: