2018/04/21

Movie Review: Edge of Tomorrow


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have come across this entry.  Today, 4/21/18, I am re-watching the 2014 Edge of Tomorrow.  It stars Emily Blunt, Tom Cruise and Bill Paxton.  "A soldier fighting aliens gets to relive the same day over and over again, the day restarting every time he dies."  Groundhogs Day meets Starship Troopers!  It currently has a 7.9 on IMDB.


  • I forgot that Brendan Gleeson was in this flick!
  • This has a very Starship Troopers feel at the beginning
  • I forgot how old Cruise looked in this flick
  • Yeah...blackmail probably is NOT the best approach "Major"
  • Is that Tony Todd?  He is not credited but it sure looked and sounded like him
  • Bill Paxton is SO good in this flick...and it is sad to think he is not around any more
  • As I mentioned before, a mix between Groundhogs Day, Starship Troopers and The Matrix
  • Its interesting that Cruise is SO bad in this flick when usually he is good at everything he does
  • Jackson from Legends of Tomorrow?  Too bad he can't turn into Firstorm without Gray
  • Why would they do PT without the suites?
  • Needs to work on timing of the roll there Tommy Boy
  • This is such an interesting idea, a hive mind that sends out bad guys that fits its enemy, love it
  • Love that he reverts to multimedia guy as quickly as he can
  • I forgot this was funny as well as smartly written
  • I'll be honest, the ability to redo your mistakes after dying is a superpower I wouldn't mind having
  • The trailer was not really dead weight
  • That is the problem isn't it?  You cannot stop caring for people and you would have to watch them die each and every time...one draw back to the power if you cannot save the person you love
  • This movie is strangely captivating and I keep finding myself lost watching the flick instead of writing witty comments
  • I forgot this movie drags at certain points when Cruise is NOT dying 
  • I still think that Emily Blunt is not amazonian enough for this role
  • Its a good thing Cruise is a REALLY good swimmer
Overall the flick is a fun flick.  I think the 7.9 is a little high though.  I give it a 7/10.  Very enjoyable and enjoyable enough that I picked up the DVD at Wal-Mart.  The designs and CGI were both fantastic and while the monsters resemble those in the Matrix upon rewatching it is not nearly as bad as I thought when I first saw the flick.

Say what you want about Tom Cruise but he is a pretty good actor.  He does a good job in most if not all of the roles that he takes on.  At the same time you can look at Emily Blunt and say she has been in just about every genre of film and has done a good job on all of those really.  

I will say that I do not think that Emily was correct for the role she was fantastic in it if that makes sense.  Much like Gal Godot as Wonder Woman, not my pick but very good in the role.

Honestly I cannot really think of anything bad about the film.  I would have liked to have more time with the squad and less time with the love story but that is normal anymore.

Again overall I say 7/10.  Worth checking out if you enjoy sci-fi or action flicks.  Oh and when you throw Brendan Gleeson in a film you know it is going to be good!

No comments: