2019/10/12

1990-11-11 Challenge Review


Good morning, good afternoon or good evening, whenever it is you have found this blog.  This entry is another wrestling review and we are going into our way-back machine to 1990.  This was the year I got into pro wrestling and we are going to November 11th.  We are on the march to the Survivor Series at this point.  I have no idea what we will see but it should be Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan which means I will be entertained!  Enough guess lets go to the tape (mp4)!

  • Oh yeah, this is when Bobby Heenan was bashing Boss Mans mom, great angle because it felt like something The Brain would do
  • I would be lying if I did not say how much I loved this era of wrestling.  I know most people hated the early 90s but I loved them!
  • Black Bart was a great hand as they say in wrestling.  Excellent in the territories and believable as a threat to a stars
  • However, in this match, these two sure started off poorly
  • Bart was such a throwback even in 1990
  • Love that he used something other than the big splash and I miss these squash matches!
  • Look how young Dustin is!  Also, how is it he looks almost the same nearly 30 years later!
  • Dusty is in pretty good shape for 1990, I remember him much bigger
  • Here comes Mr. Perfect!  He would be one of the biggest stars behind the scene if Curt was still alive.  I miss the Perfect One
  • Shelton did not hip toss Perfect, he just went over on his own he is that good
  • And now my favourite tag team Demolition!  That really is the perfect team!
  • Oh, I miss the giant egg, we need more of this in wrestling!  
  • Love that patch of hair on Slaughters forehead
  • I miss these slower type matches.  30 seconds in now we would have 10 flips and 15 superkicks!
  • Weird to see Sgt throw a dropkick
  • What does it say when Kerry Von Erich is the most well-spoken on a team!
  • Do you think Hawk will say.....weeeeellll
  • Why does Warrior have his back to the camera
  • Wait...Hawk did NOT say it?  I am so confused and scared
  • I am surprised Rick Martel still is not in the Hall of Fame.  
  • Also weird to think he only held the tag titles
  • How long did Tito and Martel feud?  Are they still feuding now?
  • Weird to see both wearing white trunks
  • Maybe Martel is wearing those baby blue trunks, it is a transfer from VHS
  • Ah yes, blind Jake Roberts.  Now he is just blind after drinking piss since he is the piss drinking champion of the world! 
  • I hate Jake but he has a great voice
  • Bunkhouse Brawl?  In the WWF?  So weird
  • Did Roddy Piper feud with Earthquake?  Also, I miss Pipers interviews
  • Uggg, how horrible was Saba Simba
  • That kid LOVED Simbas music!
  • I wonder what Tony Atlas thought when they came to him with that headdress and spear
  • I love that Gorilla reminds me of my Grandpa, I think that is why we all loved Gorilla so much
I love these old shows.  It was all about getting the stars over and getting the fans to the arena.  I wonder if in 20 years people will look back at Michael Cole and company as fondly as we do Gorilla and Bobby and Jesse Ventura.  I hope so.  

This show was what you would expect, all about the survivor series...and randomly Saba Simba!  The Egg, the teams, the feuds.  It was great that they could build-up for months to see what happens with these guys.  Now three weeks and the feud is over and onto the next guy typically.  Looking at what they did with Strowman and Rollins and probably Rollins and Wyatt.  

Overall enjoyable for what it was.  The memories were great and if you watched it back in time you probably really enjoyed.  I still did now!