2016/12/06

Movie Review: Why Him?


Last night I went and saw an early screening of "Why Him?" with Zoey Deutch, James Franco, Bryan Cranston.  "A dad forms a bitter rivalry with his daughter's young rich boyfriend."

This flick comes out on December 23rd and it wasn't bad.

The Bad

  • The flick is a little long.  There are a few scenes that could have been cut down or out completely.  I know whey they are there but it is nearly a 2 hour comedy, which is just too long. It should come in between 90 and 100 minutes, in my opinion.
  • James Franco doesn't play 32 very well.  Hell he doesn't play 42 very well.  He is rough looking
  • Speaking of rough looking Bryan Cranston looks extremely rough as well
  • Megan Mullally looks completely different and I didn't even realize that it was her till I was looking at the IMDB page.  I should know from the annoying as hell voice
  • I hate to single anyone out but the actor who played Scott was annoying...and I don't think it was meant to be
The Good
  • There are several very funny moments, a lot of them involving Keegan-Michael Key.  He is very funny on his own.
  • The chemistry between most of the actors was very good.  It felt natural and I wonder how much of it was ad-libbed because it felt very natural opposed to written
  • Even though I find Megan Mullally annoying she was pretty funny at points, especially the bed room scene!
  • Even though you knew what was coming (for the most part) the moose scene was hilarious!
  • It was a nice surprise to see Adam Devine show up in almost a cameo role.  He is slowly becoming one of my favorite comedic actors
The Ugly
  • This flick is pretty raunchy!  Not Sausage Party bad (which my better half shut off about 10 minutes in) but it was pretty bad.  Very funny at times but bad
  • Honestly that is the only ugly for this flick.  Very raunchy even for me!
Overall I enjoyed the flick.  I can't suggest going to see the flick at full price, but matinee or dollar theater it is worth it.  I'm hoping they cut a few things in the full release.  I'd give it a 6/10.  Worth seeing but not a full price flick!

No comments: