2016/12/19

Everything is....okay?


Yesterday my fiancee and I got into a bit of a dust up.  Why?  Because I said Stranger Things was "Okay".

Now let me explain, it was that I said it was okay exactly, it was because for me almost everything is okay.  I don't get excited about a lot of things.  Also apparently I got snarky with her, which I don't remember being...but it often comes out without me thinking.  She said something like "everything is okay to what, what isn't just okay?"  In my mind I said I don't know but my mouth hole said "apparently everything is just okay" or "apparently nothing is great" or something that if I was 10 would have got me smacked across the face.


The rest of the evening in the back of my head I tried to think of something in the entertainment field that I felt was more than just "okay".  The sad thing is I couldn't think of anything!  So I went back to my IMDB list to see if I could find movies I rated at an 8 or higher and that I still felt that way about. Here are a few in no particular order:



1.  I gave this show, which caused the whole conversation, an 8 originally and I guess I stand by it.  It was okay but it did have some interesting ideas.  The acting, considering it was mostly younglings, was better than to be expected.  Also the story, until the end, was good.  As I said during our conversation I felt like the writers didn't know how to end the story and just kind of finished it without a great resolution.  I realize this is probably because they want it to continue but I felt slightly ripped off by the ending.  There were also several plot holes that put it very close to a 7 but the original(ish) story kept it slightly above okay status (and I would modify my statement that caused this whole thing had I had time to think about it and not just make an off the cuff remark).


2.  The Killing Joke was nearly the perfect Batman story!  It was the grittiness of what I think of when I think of Batman.  It was exactly how I think of the Joker, psychotic yet calculating yet completely insane!  You have Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill doing the voices, who were the voices of Batman and Joker for an entire generation.  It wasn't perfect because I didn't care for the Batgirl storyline here but it makes sense in where the story goes.  However that is what made this flick a 9 instead of a 10.


3.  This flick was fantastic!  I can't believe when anyone says they figured this flick out the first time they watched it.  They did a wonderful job of misdirection and making you think it was each person at some point.  Personally I thought it was Keaton the entire time, even after you saw him killed, that is how convinced they made me it was him!  The acting was fantastic with Spacey and Pollack really standing out for me.  I can't really say anything was wrong with this flick which is probably why I gave it a 10 out of 10.



4.  This flick was very odd and very well done.  You've got Bobcat Goldthwait as the director and writer of the flick which should tell you something.  The acting was well done and you have people in slightly different roles.  On top of that the social commentary is so in your face you almost forget it is there.  The comedic timing and the comedy itself is done in a way that it isn't funny but yet you find yourself laughing at times, shocked at times and thinking all the time.  I really enjoyed this flick.



5.  I don't think I need to say anything about this flick really.  The ONLY complaint that I can see anyone having is the length of the flick.  It is long but it is amazing!  If possible I'd say this was an 11 out of 10.  

There you go five things that were better (if only slightly) than okay.  




No comments: