2016/12/21

To Bowl (game) or not to Bowl (game)

I had a different blog written up today but I heard an interesting conversation on a recent Mike and Mike that I wanted to talk about instead.

Christian McCaffrey, a junior at Stamford, has decided not to play in the Sun Bowl this year to focus on training for the combine and the NFL draft next year.

On the surface this shouldn't be a big deal.  Christian has been slightly nicked up, a football term for being slightly injured, and missed at least one game this year.  He was the runner up for the Heisman Trophy last year and has what some would consider a bright future.

He is the second high profile player to make this decision after LSU star Leonard Fournette also did the same thing forgoing his teams bowl game.

Many people are pointing to former Notre Dame star Jaylon Smith, who was projected to be a very high draft pick, some saying a top ten pick, dropped to 34 after an injury last year in the Fiesta Bowl.

Mike and Mike, along with their guests, all seemed to be understand the decision if not agree with. Other sport stars did not.  Donovan McNabb, former Eagles QB said “I don’t agree with this. It sets a bad example for the kids.”  Other people had similar stances including Danny Kanell on Mike and Mike.

Personally I don't have a problem with this.  Why do people go to college?  Most go to prepare for their next stage in life, their career.  What is the career Christian McCaffrey is going into?  Pro Football.  If I was going into accounting and I could get an excellent job after my junior year but I had to quit the band to focus on a placement test would anyone be upset?  No one blames someone leaving college early unless they are a sports star.  The fact that this kid knows that he has a limited amount of time in the NFL and risking an injury in what amounts to a meaningless bowl game shows maturity in my opinion.

Let me say that I understand when people say this is bad in a team sport.  I get that but I also get that it is a business as well and at the end of the day he has to think of himself and his family.  When most people only get 4 to 5 years in the NFL they need to maximize that time.

Another reason I don't have a problem with this is because coaches do it all the time.  If you want to talk about setting an example, which some people point out as a reason against this, look at coaches. Every year there are coaches who don't coach the bowl game because they are starting a new job.  Or when the team fires the coach midseason.

When a player agrees to go to a college often it is because of the recruiting of the coach yet they can leave seemingly whenever they want.  What kind of example does THAT set?  That a contract means nothing and isn't even worth the paper it is printed on.

The one thing that is interesting to think about, and again this was brought up by Mike and Mike, what happens when a big star is on a losing team.  Say a team that is 2-5 yet they are predicted to be a top 10 draft pick.  Will THEY decide to sit out the rest of the season?  It is an interesting question.

Another thing is that this is going to be a few rare cases.  Most players can't do this because they need the film.  They need to show that they are average players.  It is going to be those top 10 or 15 players who do this.  I don't see a 4th round draft pick sitting out.

Overall I don't see this as a horrible thing. The way student athletes are treated this is one of the few things they can control so I say more power to them!

No comments: