2016/12/31

Movie Review: Atari: Game Over


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you have found this blog.  I'm back with yet another movie review.  This time I'm checking out the documentary Atari:  Game over.  As of 12/28/16 it has a 6.7.  "A crew digs up all of the old Atari 2600 game cartridges of "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" that were tossed into a landfill in the 1980s."

I might have done this review before, but I don't think I finished the flick the last time I started watching it.  The idea of this flick is that the Atari game ET was the worst game in history.  So bad that Atari buried ONE MILLION games in the desert in New Mexico.  However the flick goes more in depth into Atari itself.  You also hear from a few famous people who showed up at the dig and the developer himself.

This flick does not sound like it would very exciting but it is interesting.  The story behind the meteoric rise of Atari and then their equally brilliant fall is quite interesting.  They only scrap the surface of this but what they do talk about is very interesting.

I also find the attitude of the developor of the game, Howard Scott Warshaw, to be interesting.  It is a mix of I can do anything and what have I done.  You can tell that at one point he thought he was the smartest man alive.  Smug isn't quite a strong enough word for how he came off.  

There isn't a lot to say about this flick.  It is the basic one sided story about the dig for these games with some history sprinkled in.  At a short running time I feel that they could have added some more of the Atari history.  

Overall a decent flick but not quite everything I wanted.  I still give it a 7/10 for the fact that it did resolve an old urban legend.  With a running time of around 70 minutes there are worse things to waste your time on!

No comments: