2016/06/13

Babadook: A Movie Review

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenver it you've found this blog.  This time I'm watching the award winning flick The Babadook.  "A single mother, plagued by the violent death of her husband, battles with her son's fear of a monster lurking in the house, but soon discovers a sinister presence all around her."  It stars Essie Davis, Noah Wiseman and Daniel Henshall.  As of 6/5/16 it has a 6.8 on IMDB.
  • I wouldn't want her reading me a bedtime story.  Sounds like she is reading a horror story no matter what
  • His mom is CREEPY!
  • Who sets their alarm for 7:08?
  • So the creepy mom has a creepy son, makes sense
  • Seriously this kid is creepy!
  • Don't most six year old still believe in monsters?  I think I did till I was....how old am I now?
  • She wonders why her kid is messed up, did you see that magician?  
  • This flick is full of just creepy looking people
  • Yeah rip up that book, that'll teach the Babadook!
  • Wow that little girl is horrible
  • It is official, Samuel is the creepiest kid I can remember in a flick
  • Who just opens the door without looking through the peephole?  Twice?
  • The Babadook can use the phone?  AWESOME!!
  • Sorry I got engrossed in this flick
  • Poor puppy dog, she really is a monster!
  • But this chick is obviously going to win mother of the year
  • Damn this kid is hardcore!
  • I wonder if this is what a mental break down feels like
  • Where did the creator get the idea of the Babadook design from I wonder
  • Don't mess with a mom and her children I guess
  • Seriously that kid is annoying as sin
  • I think the kid just had a second fit....wait...I'm being told that was a celebration dance....
Well that was odd.  I don't know what to say about that flick to be honest.  It did pull me in which is a good thing but sweet baby jebus the young kid was annoying as sin!

Overall I give it a 6/10.  Nothing ground breaking but nothing that made me want drown myself in the tub either.

I'm nnot sure what to think of the ending of the flick.  It is an interesting idea and as my lovely girlfriend said I guess it is a metaphor for facing your own fears but what was the deal with it suddenly staying in the basement and being feed?  That is the part I don't get.  Are they implying that it was always in the basement and it was set loose when Sammy Boy went down to have his weird magic show?  

The acting was actually pretty well done aside from the sister and the niece/cousin.  The mom did a great job of doing the crazy bitch and the sorry mom thing.  Sammy Boy was well done as well, I just also found him annoying as a piece of popcorn stuck in your teeth.  He was weird looking and sounding and well now I guess I'm just being mean!

I felt it was a little long in the tooth however if I have to be critical.  I would have cut the scene at the police station since it didn't really add much to the flick.  Neither did the random scene with the guy friend showing up randomly.  Just to show that she had lied about him being sick?  Or the slight change in his mom?  Either way it didn't really move the narrative along much.  Also I would have cut out the part with the cousin mocking his lack of a dad and only had her get pushed out of the tree house.  Continue with the idea that he is getting more and more violent.  Then you had the random seizure/fit that wasn't mentioned again.  So a few scenes could have been cut...oh and the random conversation in the supermarket!

The idea and presentation was extremely creepy till the end and it had me hooked for the middle third for sure.  The beginning was slow and I disliked the end from the time the husband shows back up.

It is worth checking out however if you like suspense horror.

No comments: