2017/11/03

Movie Review: In a Valley of Violence


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening....whenever it is that you have come across this entry.  Today (9/23/17) I am checking out the flick In a Valley of Violence.  It stars Ethan Hawke, John Travolta and Taissa Farmiga.  "A mysterious stranger and a random act of violence drag a town of misfits and nitwits into the bloody crosshairs of revenge."  It currently has a rating of 6/10 with 9018 voters.  


  • Ugg, a Western?  I dislike Westerns...
  • Blumhouse did the flick?  Well that is a good sign
  • Ethan Hawke however is not a great sign
  • Oh it is the guy from Torchwood!  Burn Gorman is a great character actor!
  • I have a friend from high school that looks like Ethan Hawke
  • Any movie with a dog as a main character gets points from me!
  • Awesome a snake oil salesmen
  • Yeah, the bowl is for the dog son
  • This is an interesting cast
  • Hey it is Ziggy from the Wire!
  • Hey it is Pond, where is the Doctor?
  • Don't mess with a mans dog!
  • Wow Travolta looks a little bit like Kurt Russel
  • They shot his dog?  Oh that is just foolish, they don't know what they've done
  • I personally want to kill Ziggy now
  • Wait a minute, Harris is the superhero guy from Pete and Pete I think
  • To paraphrase Firefly there is no power in the 'verse that would stop me if someone did that to my dog because dogs are family
  • I do love a good old fashion revenge story
  • Let him soak...that...um...is really gross sounding!  Hasn't he seen the well walker?
  • This is much better than I expected
  • I don't think quitting is going to help you Tubby
  • Told you to get away from the window Lawrence
  • Ziggy, you know your daddy is dead, you shot him just like Hawke did
  • Sweet baby Jesus, with a spur!
This was actually a much better flick than I expected.  The story was well done and as a dog lover believable if not slightly a stretch.  

The acting we well done and I was impressed with everyone, even Mr. Hawke, who usually I dislike.  I can't say why but I just don't like the guy for some reason.  I enjoyed the flicked I really did.

I can't say anything was great but I can't say anything made me want to slit my wrists either.  

As far as a rating goes, I think a 6/10 is about right.  It was there for me and it did drag on just a bit.  I can't tell you what I'd cut though that is the problem.  No scene really drug on or seemed unimportant.  Maybe the scene with Hawke and the girl at her dad's cabin but I'm not even sure about that.  

Overall if you like Westerns or revenge stories this one isn't a bad one to check out.  

No comments: