2016/10/13

Movie Review: Night of the Living Deb


Today I'm reviewin the horror comedy (which is really a weird genre isn't it) Night of the Living Deb. It stars Maria Thayer, Syd Wilder and Ray Wise.  "After a girls' night out, endearingly awkward Deb wakes up in the apartment of the most attractive guy in Portland, Maine. She's thrilled, but she can't remember much of what got her there. Pretty boy Ryan only knows it was a mistake and ushers her out the door... into a full-scale zombie apocalypse. Now, a walk of shame becomes a fight for survival as the mismatched pair discovers that the only thing scarier than trusting someone with your life... is trusting them with your heart."  I found this just looking for something to watch on Netflix.  I wasn't in the mood for straight horror (my lovely girlfriend wanted to watch Lights Out) but I was looking to laugh.  We both got what we wanted.  Now lets go watch the 2015 horror comedy!
  • Well that was a pretty bad opening to a flick
  • not sure if the director from Monsters Inc is the best first thing
I feel slightly bad making his comparison
  • Did I just see her pooping?
  • She might be the most awkward person in the world...very nice
  • Did she just call her a Fraggle...nice
  • The raven haired chick is a BITCH
  • Goodbye to the cats?
  • What is up with her shorts?
  • Why does her car say Otis?  Wait...is it her car?
  • Right to the zombies...with kid zombies...weird
  • This idiot chick thinks it is the parade?  Really?
  • Well it is filthy outside, Ryan is correct
  • Do they really still make shower radios?
  • That phone is pretty ancient
  • Deb has a big cleft in her chin
  • Okay the Coconut joke was good
  • Did they just use the clapper?  AWESOME!
  • These people are not quiet, its awesome
  • Strangely I like this chick
  • The acting is so uninspired at times in this flick it is awesome
  • Ray Wise is AWESOME!
Honestly I got wrapped up in this film.  Was it Citizen Kane?  No...and that is a good thing...I hated that flick.  But honestly after Wise showed up I kind of just watched the flick which didn't make for a good review I realize.  However let me go from here.

The flick was much better then I expected and I really enjoyed the performance of Maria Thayer.  She had EXCELLENT comedy timing and I'm tempted to check out other stuff this young lady has done....so much so that I just tried to find Eagleheart and Those who Can't.  Her delivery as the bumbling female lead was fantastic.  Honestly, this movie would have been horrible without her. 


MILD SPOILERS BELOW!

With all due respect to the rest of the cast this young lady made this flick watchable!  Well that and Ray Wise...who is great in everything.

This flick was honestly picked out expecting a trainwreck but it wasn't horrible.  It could have been much worse.  I hate to knock an actor but Michael Cassidy was horrible in this flick.  He was extremely flat in his performance and his delivery.  I didn't believe that he had ANY emotion.  I honestly have more emotions on a tech call at 5:55am with a user who forgot the password they created 5 minutes before calling me!

The storyline is stupid beyond the basic idea of the water turning people into the Undead.  I mean the idea that these people were that stupid was just dumb but again Maria and Ray and Chris Marquette (who was okay as the dumb brother) saved this flick.

I give it a 6/10 only for Maria's performance.  I honestly can't say enough how great her timing was. She was perfect in this role!

So if you want to see excellent comic timing among one of the flattest performances put on film (yeah sorry Michael Cassidy [not sorry]) check this flick out.  If you want a great flick check something else out!  Until next time...abyssinia! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The acting was fair but the forced "quirkiness" of the main character, Deb, got annoying. I know they wanted us to but into her "funny, eccentric personality" but it was trite, overdone and tired. I got so annoyed I had to shut it off after 20 minutes.