2016/10/17

Book Review: Middletown Apocalypse


I recently found this book while looking for post apocalypse stories.  This was an interesting book.  It is written by 11 authors who all started with the same basic concept and went from there.  You get stories by Brent Abell, Shawn Chesser, Mike Evans, Joe McKinney, John O'Brien, Armand Rosamilia, Eric A. Shellman, Heath Stallcup, Mark Tufo, Jack Wallen and Jay Wilburn.

I was familiar with Tufo and McKinney.  I actually really enjoy Joe McKinney's zombie novels.  I will be hunting down more from Mike Evans and Shawn Chesser, I really enjoyed both of their stories.

The idea is that in small town middle America a bumbling (my word) student named Charlie Noble unknowingly unleashed the zombie plague.  From there everything was unique to each author.

It was interesting to see each one different yet a familiar setting.  I guess I should say that I enjoyed all the stories it is just those three, McKinney, Evans and Chesser stood out to me as something different.

There wasn't a story I didn't like, a few I wasn't super excited about but there wasn't a bad one in the bunch and this was a great idea.  I'd like to see more collections set up like this.  Give known authors a short story idea and let them all go wild!

Because of the format of the book I can't say a lot about each one because I don't want to favor one over the others really.  Plus the only thing I can say is the basic story idea.  You see some go into the military realm while others stay with the students.

Overall I enjoyed the book and if you're looking for some October fun this is a great book to pick up! 4 out of 5 stars!

No comments: