2016/10/07

Book Review: 900 Miles (900 Miles #1)


Today I'm reviewing the book 900 Miles (900 Miles #1) by S. Johnathan Davis 

I didn't know what to expect from this book.  I found it with a bunch of other zombies books and needed something different.  I hadn't read a zombie book for a while as I had concentrated on other books.

I say this in a good way, but it was written in a very simple straight forward way.  After reading a lot of Stephen King and other large novel authors it is nice to not to have to read a chapter to know what color the dress on a woman cross the street was.

The book itself was nothing special and standard zombie stuff, which isn't a bad thing.  It had what you find in 95% of zombie books.  Someone trying to get to a loved one.  Humans are actually the enemy.  Big cluster fights.  You know standard fare.

I could see where the author was trying to do things slightly different but at the end of the day it is hard to find an original idea when it comes to the zombie motif.  With all the movies and books a lot of it has been done before.

I think the the biggest downfall was that I didn't relate to any of the characters and I think it is because there wasn't much build up of the characters themselves.  They were just there to me.  Also the action just kept coming with no lull really.  I understand this idea however.  As someone who has tried to write a few of my own zombie stories I know that you don't want the story to be boring so you think I've got to have one battle after another after another.  Which lets be honest, is realist in a sense if this did happen, but lacks storytelling at time.

That isn't to say that I hated it.  It was right there middle of the road.  I enjoyed it for what it was but, and again this isn't meant as an insult, I wasn't going to be reading the Hobbit or IT.

If you enjoy zombie books, or are looking for quick easy enjoyable read this isn't a bad choice.  I'm going to see if I can hunt down the second one just to see where the author goes.

No comments: