2016/10/25

Movie Review: Keeping Up with the Joneses


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you've stumbled upon my blog.  Today I'm review the new flick Keeping Up with the Joneses.  It stars Zach Galifianakis, Isla Fisher and Jon Hamm.  "A suburban couple becomes embroiled in an international espionage plot when they discover that their seemingly perfect new neighbors are government spies."  As of 10/24/16 it has a 5.4 on IMDB.

Overall I enjoyed this flick and I think that this deserves a higher rating.  I'd say a 7/10 personally. You had the excellent performances of the above mentioned stars, along with another Gal Gadot rounding out the main cast.  You then have great supporting cast like Kevin Dunn and Matt Walsh and the actor who portrays the Scorpion (I won't spoil this for anyone because I was a great surprise to me).

Let me just say here that I think Kevin Dunn is an extremely underrated actor.  He was one of the lone bright spots in the Transformers trilogy.  He was fantastic in Godzilla and Small Soldiers and Snake Eyes.  Honestly I know the movie will have at least one decent performance when Dunn is in the flick.

Back to the flick in question, it was your standard action comedy that seems to be the new norm. I personally found the flick to be very funny and I thought that Isla stole the flick.  I've not seen her in a lot of things but I thought her comedic timing was perfect.  She was the perfect mix of comedy, both physical and in delivery,  When you throw in that she is easy on the eyes, which is an understatement, she stole the show for me.

That isn't to say Zach wasn't his usual brilliant self.  He was excellent playing the average oblivious man.  The scene where Zach and Jon go into an underground Chinese restaurant was fantastic. Unfortunately for Zach a few of his best scenes were in the trailer but they were still funny.

As long time readers of this blog will know since the Hangover movies came out I have a strange relationship with one Zach Galifianakis.  Some people say that we look a like.  Most of those also say we sound a like.  That we talk, our cadence, is the same.  Apparently we sit the same.  Basically we are twin brothers from different mothers.....some people say that at least.  In this film his reactions were pretty much exactly what mine would be.  My lovely girlfriend was laughing as much at the fact that he was doing and saying what I would do as she was at the jokes.  I will throw this out to Zach one more time, if you need a stand in or someone to go to crappy media events you don't want to give me a call.  I'll even shave my beard and lose a little weight...and everyone knows I hate shaving my beard!

Overall this was a very enjoyable flick and I thought it was very funny.  The folks around me were laughing quite a bit as well.  If you need a fun flick to get you out of a funk, like we did after last week, this is a great choice!

No comments: