2016/08/13

Top 250 review: The Shawshank Redemption



I am back and instead of a Bottom 100 flick I've decided to start checking out the Top 250 flicks that I haven't seen as well.  Today (7/31) I'm checking out the #1 flick on IMDB, The Shawshank Redemption.  It stars Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman and Bob Gunton.  "Two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency."
  • Uggg, this flick is long!
  • DALE!  DALE LIVES!  I miss you Dale
  • Wait...this Stephen King story takes place in Maine?  A real stretch for him!
  • I realize this was released in 1994 but Freeman looks SO young
  • Wait...is that Mr. Krabs/Lex Luthor?  YES IT IS!
  • Mr. Krabs has anger issues in this flick!
  • Are you sure this isn't The Green Mile?  
  • Bull Queers?  
  • Wow it is pretty easy to get stuff into prison in the movies, here I thought they always baked it into a cake
  • Interesting movie thus far, not a lot going on thus far, a lot of back story
  • I do like Andy quite a bit, his I don't care attitude 
  • I like Tim Robbins haircut in the flick, I should go back with that cut
  • Is there a flick that Bob Gunton doesn't play a complete asshole
  • I would like to that bible stuck up the wardens ass, I hate bible thumpers
  • Now why would the warden be nice to Andy and put him down in the library....
  • More walls, bars and guards...yep...sounds about right
  • Ah yes, they are going to parole the old man and he can't handle the idea
  • I feel for Brooks, I really do
  • Records and books?  CRAZY!
  • Oh Andy...what are you thinking!
  • Did I mention this flick is long?
  • Seriously this flick is long and how many acts does this flick have?
  • Tommy also has anger issues...must be a Maine thing
  • Oh no...not Tommy...a fake escape
Well that was a decent flick.  Nothing great and I sure wouldn't say it is the greatest flick of all time...of course that is by the fans votes and we all know that the general public is stupid...look who might become the President of the United States later this year!

Overall everything was well done but it was REALLY drawn out.  As much as I liked the Brooks storyline it could have been shortened or even cut out completely, they could have done the library storyline differently without the character.

Also the ending of the flick reminded me of the Return of the King....ending after ending after ending.

I'm sure most people will disagree with my thoughts on the flick.  I just don't see this as the number one movie of all time.  It could be because I didn't see it till now and it has that long LONG buildup that it can't live up to.  

I personally would give it a 7/10.  It was long and drawn out but also an excellent story and acted brilliantly by the cast.

I'm sure some of you are wondering what films I'd say are better.  To name a few I'd say Schindler's List, Wizard of Oz, Saving Private Ryan and The Room to name a few.  I think Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan are as close to being perfect as you can get, both only suffer from being drawn out.

Until next time, remember "Get busy living, or get busy dying."


No comments: