2016/08/16

3 Movies that scared me as a kid

This is the third attempt at writing a blog this morning.  Everything I've written thus far becomes so drastically negative.  I don't need to add to the negativity of the world!  So then I thought...what the fuck do I write about?

I honestly don't know.  I've been zoning out looking at this damn white screen for quite a while trying to figure out what to blog about.  I even ended up looking at blogs about what to blog about and still nothing.  I guess I'll do one that was on everyone's list....and that was to make a list!

And of course the first thing that came to my mind was pop culture, but what to make a list of.  Then I decided I'd do the top three movies that scared me as a child.

While I enjoy horror movies now, as a child...not so much.  For those of you who know me personally, you'll find this hard to believe, but I was not always such a manly man!  Stop laughing...no seriously...stop laughing....I CAN WAIT ALL DAY DAMN IT!

Okay hopefully you've all stopped laughing your fool heads off and I can...I HEARD THAT SNICKER!  Let me continue.  Seriously as a child I was not a fan of horror movies but my parents seemed to enjoy renting horror movies for us or not pushing young impressionable minds out of the room.

1.  Critters

The 1986 classic Critters scared the pants off of me.  "A race of small, furry aliens make lunch out of the locals in a farming town."  I don't know why it did but it did.  I enjoy the flick as an adult but as a kid I had many a nightmares about space porcupines eating me and my family.  Okay the family part wasn't ALWAYS so bad depending on my mood but me...I didn't want to be lunch for a furry ball of teeth.



I mean look at those things, what isn't there to scare a child!  Glowing red eyes, rows and rows of teeth, just enough comedy to make you forget they are killing everything.  The things of nightmares.  

Looking back I see the bad 80's involved but as a kid I hated them.  It got to the point where I incorporated them into my play so they'd be less scary, which worked...until my parents decided it was time for Critters 2 to be viewed!  They form a giant ball of critters and roll over a guy eating his bones clean!


Yeah that took weeks of bad dreams to get over.  Thanks alot parents!


Yeah this seems obvious.  I didn't have the experience in life to understand what this flick was saying and doing.  I also didn't get the comedy, although this flick didn't have as much comedy as the later flicks did.  

I don't think I have to say alot about a man with a glove of knives making a 5 or 6 year old nearly wet his pants.  Strangely enough I don't remember this film giving me nightmares just making me bury my head in my pillow.  This time I can't blame my mom.  She was watching it and I was laying with my head out my door watching TV like I did as a youngster.  Usually it was something cool like M*A*S*H...this time not so much.  



Yeah yeah yeah, I know, it wasn't a very scary movie.  However young Gene was scared throughout this entire flick!  My grandpa took me, and has he tells it (I don't remember it really), I spent most of the movie hiding under the seat in front of me.  Honestly I don't know what scared me so much but apparently I was...a lot.  I can see the ghost in the library maybe but not much else after that...oh probably the hands and the chair with Dana.  That creeps me out now as an adult a little bit.


There you go, three movies that scared me as a youngling.  None of them are what I'd call extremely scary but for whatever reason put horrible horrible scars on my souls.  2 out 3 I really enjoy now.  Until next time....abyssinia!


No comments: