2016/08/18

Movie Review: Hell or High Water


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening...whenever it is you happen to come across this review. I am back, this time reviewing the flick Hell or High Water.  I saw this last night (7/17) in an early preview.  I am surprised to see that the flick has a 8.3 on IMDB with 902 votes!  It stars Dale Dickey, Ben Foster, Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges.  "A divorced dad and his ex-con brother resort to a desperate scheme in order to save their family's farm in West Texas."

The Good:  

The acting in this flick was very good.  I am not a fan of Chris Pine.  I haven't really liked his performance in anything I've seen him in until this flick.  His subtle performance and the emotion he showed just with facial expressions was amazing.  Of course Jeff Bridges and Ben Foster are both actors that could read the phone book on screen and be amazing doing it.  But for me the performance of the flick was Gil Birmingham.  Talk about being subtle and almost blending into the background but being amazing was awesome.  I don't remember him in anything else but he was very good here.


The Bad:

I thought the story itself had a few plot holes in it.  There were just so many little things that left me scratching my head.  Several scenes that I felt did nothing for the film.  I know why they were there but I felt that they failed in their intent.  The biggest thing that I felt came up short was that they tried to build Bridges character as this old timer but without more background it felt flat to me.  I also feel that the audio was off in the beginning I had a hard time hearing things early on.  Now that could have just been me, it could have been a small problem with the theater...I don't know.  But it bothered me enough to put in here.


The Ugly:

There really was nothing ugly in this flick.  Nothing at all.  


There you go, my brief thoughts without ruining the flick too much.  Overall I'd give the flick a 6/10, a little lower than those on IMDB currently.  That isn't to say this is a bad flick.  As I told my lovely girlfriend as we were leaving, it was a spectacularly okay movie.  Nothing great but nothing ugly. Everything was basically okay.  Unfortunately I can't say to see this flick in the theaters, only because there is nothing that you'd miss by buying this on Amazon or iTunes.  It is worth checking out but I wouldn't pay the stupidly high theater prices to see it.  Until next time...Abyssinia!


No comments: