2016/08/20

Why I hate the Olympics....or is it that I hate the media and society

Yeah, I said it, I hate the Olympics.  I find them boring.  I don't care about most of the events the other 1445 days why do I care about the hammer throw sudden because it is an international competition.  My guess is that there are international track and field events year around.

But that isn't really the real reason I hate them.  I hate them because 98% of the coverage isn't about some of the finest athletes in the world!  It is about the village being bad.  Or the area they are going to be being bad.  Or the water being bad.  Or athletes not meeting curfew.  Yes, I said that right,

That isn't to say that there isn't some great coverage for the athletes themselves but so far the major stories that I've seen, someone not watching, is that a swimmer lied about how and why he was held up.  A gymnast didn't put her hand on her heart.  A black woman won gold for the first time in swimming.

Only one of those is an Olympic story.  The other is just bullshit.  I guess you could say this is less about the Olympics and more about what our media covers but I blame the Olympics right now.

The lovely and talented Gabby Douglas won and medal and was, as she said, overcome with joy. Then you get articles like this.  Michael Phelps laughs his way through the Anthem but that is okay because he had his hand on his heart and lets be honest, the fact that he is a white male helped.

Yep no disrespect on the left but tons on the Right
Jesus...look at what I just wrote.  The fact that that comes to my mind in 2016 is disgusting but lets be honest it sure looks that way doesn't it.

Phelps says he laughed because his friend yelled "O" after part of it because I guess they do that in Baltimore...they must be the most unpatriotic people ever...wait....oh they have their hands over their hearts....oh then it doesn't matter.

Of course people are claiming everything from she was pouting because she wasn't as big a star this year to a black lives matters protest.  You know what probably happened....she forgot.  You try being in front of MILLIONS of people AND being full of emotions.  I'll be honest, if I won a medal you'd have to sedate me because I'd be so happy or hold me up because I'd be so overcome with joy.

I'd be like this for days if I won
But you know what, I'm wrong here.  Lets destroy this young lady because of it.  Lets attack her because of it.  Because she should know better!  How DARE she not follow the RULES!  How dare she practice FREEDOM of SPEECH.  After all, this is America...where we all do the EXACT SAME THING the EXACT SAME WAY.


I don't think she did ANYTHING disrepectful and I sure in the hell don't think she did it on purpose. But what the fuck to I know.  I'm sure if we could read her mind she was really thinking "Yeah...fuck America and the Anthem and my team mates and all of you folks watching and supporting me...fuck you and your dirty rotten mothers!"

I know that is how I'd feel AFTER this happened.

So why do I hate the Olympics, because it just causes more bullshit to be spewed out about people and society.  When will we learn to just shut up and let people be?  Lets worry about the constant mass shootings, protests, police shootings, student debt crisis, homelessness, childhood hunger or anything that really fucking matters.

Fuck that noise, I don't know what I was thinking.  Lets make sure we know more about Gawker being shut down!  That is the REAL news....brother!

This is how I feel about society anymore
Its rare that I edit one one of these but I am.  As I drove into work this morning I was listening to the 8/18 Best of Mike and Mike Podcast.  Of course one of the major stories was the Olympics. However one of the stories that came up once again had nothing to do with what the athlete was doing at the games.  Deandre Jordan, a basketball player for the Clippers, said that Olympic Gold is above the NBA ring.

That makes sense right?   I mean you're doing this for your country, you're representing every man woman and child in the good ol' U S of A.  This is the best of the best of the best from around the world and you can only do it every four years.  Of course it is above a title that is done once a year.  

Sweet baby Jesus, to quote the late great Roddy Piper.  You'd think that he'd punched the Pope the way people respond.  How can he say that if he's never won a NBA ring!  I honestly would think winning a gold medal in any sport is better then winning the championship in the same sport.  You don't get the prestige or the accolades but you can honestly say that you are one of the best in the world if you win a medal.  

Can the Cavs or the Broncos honestly say they're the best in the world? They won a title in the US among US teams and they just say "World Champs".  Sorry just the way I see it.  They are the NBA champions but they didn't beat any international teams.  Sure there are some fantastic international players in the NBA but that doesn't mean all the best in the world are in the NBA.  

I don't know but it bugged me when Mike Golic and Michael Smith were saying that he hadn't won a NBA ring so he couldn't compare.  I would think this is what most people would say but the response on Mike and Mike I guess I am wrong.  Just another reason I guess I don't like the Olympics, they don't mean anything I guess.

Until next time...


1 comment:

MsWholigan said...

Oh, I knew I would want to hear ehat you had to say about all THIS crap, and I was not disappointed! Thanks for keeping it real! :-)