2015/11/07

Elder D. Todd Christofferson explains the Churches new hate policy


(Warning:  This is a rant on religion, specifically the LDS Church.  However I believe you can almost insert any religion in its place)

Good morning, afternoon or evening, whenever you happen to be visiting my blog.  I am going out this evening so my usual Doctor Who review will be later than usual.  However I am going to do a different kind of review today.

Earlier this week the LDS church released a new rule:

On November 5, the Church updated its policy, stating that children living with parents or guardians in a same-gendered marriage or cohabiting relationship cannot be baptized until of legal age. In addition, children of same-sex couples may not receive a baby blessing.

Once the child reaches the age of 18, and is no longer living with his or her same-sex parents, the child may choose to be baptized into the Church only after he or she “accepts and… commit[s] to live the teachings and doctrine of the Church, and specifically disavows the practice of same-gender cohabitation and marriage. (LDS.net)

My thoughts is that they are once again showing that Religion is full of hatred but then I found a video where Elder Christofferson Addresses Policy Changes Regarding Children of Same-Sex Couples.

So I'm going to do what any good journalist (shut up!  I've as much as journalist as the jerks at the Huffington Post or Bill O'Reilly!) would do and watch the video.

  • This is about family?  Love?  Love of the Savior?
  • Love/marriage is a sin?  Really?
  • They have the right for marriage but the church is going to deny that right?
  • Law of the Lord?
  • "...disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ to yield no ground in the matter of love and sympathy and help and brotherhood and serving and doing all we can for anybody at the same time maintaining the standards he maintained that was the saviors pattern he always was firm and what was right and wrong he never excused or winked at sin he never redefined it he never changed his mind was what it want is what it is and that's where we are but his compassion of was was an Excel and his desire and willingness and proactive efforts to minister to heal to to bless and lift to bring people toward the path that leads to happiness never ceased that's where we are we're not going to stop that we're not going to yield on our efforts to help people find what brings happiness but we know the sin does not and so we're going to stand firm there because we don't want to mislead people there is no kindness misdirecting people and leading them into any misunderstanding about what is true what is right what is wrong what leads to Christ and what leads away from Christ..." (taken from the CC of the above video so no punctuation was added and only a few minor changes when it was really off)
  • Yes why are the children in question here?
  • A sense of compassion and sympathy?  Really?  The policy is to protect children!  WTF?
  • Nothing is lost to them...but their family Mr. Christofferson
  • Oh of course, they are only disavowing the PRACTICE of same sex marriage not their parents.
  • Fairness for all and this policy are the same side of the same coin?  Really?
Well that was a bunch of double talk and PR control.  Here is how I look at it, and I could be wrong, but this is just another way for the Church to be hateful and discriminate against those they don't agree with.  Lets be honest the LDS church doesn't have a great history in tolerance despite what they say.  Ask other minorities.

for this Elder to try and say this policy is to protect the children almost made me vomit!  If they honestly believe that requiring an 18 year old to disavow the practice of same sex isn't the same as doing the same to the parents is just stupid to say.  That is like saying I disavow interracial marriage but I have no problem with my interracial parents, doesn't work that way!

Lastly look at that long quote above.  Just read it again (sorry it is one long sentence, that is how it appears in the close caption.  He talks about leading people to happiness but whose happiness is he talking about?  If I were with another man I would I'd be happy or I wouldn't be with him just like if I were with a woman.  For them to try and say they know what happiness is is disgusting.

I am sorry if this upsets some of my Mormon friends.  Trust me you wouldn't be the first religious people who I've upset and won't be the last I'm sure.

I want to make it clear that I don't want to restrict religion.  If you want to belong to the Mormon Church, the Church of Satan, be of the Jewish faith, Muslim or whatever that is fine.  However you have to realize when you make statements like this, statements that are pretty much seen as hateful, you're going to get blow back.  You're going to get that blow back on you.  When you belong to a group you get that groups stink on you when they do bad things.  Also you have the right to not allow people in your Church/Group/whatever but when you do that you open yourself up to the criticism you've received lately and is that really what the Church is about?  Dividing people?

Lastly remember I am not condemning the people of the Church just the practice of belong to the Church.  How does that feel?

No comments: