2012/12/03

Gun control



This weekend we had a horrible situation where a player for the Kansas City Chiefs killed his girlfriend and mother of his 3 month old.  He then called the coach and general manager to the office, thanked them for the opportunity and then killed himself.

I didn't watch Sunday Night Football, I really don't care about the Cowboys or Eagles, so I didn't see the above video.  I saw someone mention it on Facebook and I wanted to check it out.  I find nothing wrong with what he said in a COMMENTARY.  That is what it is.  Bob Costas is know for his commentaries.

Do I agree with him?  I am split.  Here is how I look at it.  Guns are a tool as a lot of people have said on various boards I've read.  Guns don't kill people, people do, and that is correct.  Just like cars don't kill people, people do.  All those arguments are true.  However lets take it a step further and look at handguns.

Handguns, in my opinion, are to kill people.  What else are they used for?  You don't hunt with a hand gun, at least I don't think you do.  I don't know of anyone who does that.  So again, what are handguns for?  Protection?  That is another way of saying possibly killing people.  If you want to go with the the gun is a tool, what is that tool for?  Killing.

Am I for more gun control?  Yes and no.  Here is what I say we do, and yes I am serious.  Is it possible?  I don't know if it is but I believe so.

We can use a thumb print on a computer so why not a gun?  I am stealing this idea from James Bond but let me continue.  We have every handgun sold on record I believe.  So we have the police go to every house and get that gun and place a fingerprint lock on it.  The only way that gun will work is if the registered person has his thumb on it.  If you want a second person, say a wife, you go to the police station and add that person.

Will that stop all handgun crimes?  Of course not.  It wouldn't have stopped this shooting Saturday for that matter.  It is a step forward and something I would think both sides of the issue would agree to.

Gun culture is too ingrained in this country.  Too many people look at the Constitution and the Right to Bare Arms.  I don't think we should take people's guns but we should make them safer.

No comments: