2010/12/01

Random Things

Okay here is another blog full of me just throwing out a bunch of random ideas out there.

First off I received an email today full of things that will be happening soon. Let me respond to a few of these.

1. The post office going out of business. I don't see this. The government has stepped in and saved several business that would damage the economy and the death of the PO would do that. I like an idea I heard somewhere of stepping back to 5 days a week, eliminating Saturday's. I don't see them letting it die.

2. The Newspaper, as we know it, will POSSIBLY die. You have to remember there are still people who don't use the internet. The older folks still read the paper. I get asked atleast once a week if we sell papers. They still sell them at McDonald's. Could we see papers go from a daily to a bi-weekly or every other day type thing yes. Will we see papers with a bigger presence on the net? Yes. The death of papers...not yet...but it is on life support.

3. Books. I hear this EVERYDAY at work and it drives me insane. I've seen fellow booksellers say it online. Books ARE NOT going anywhere. Books are not like CD's or the VCR. I want to hit people when they say asinine things like this. Are there other options out there for readers like NOOK or Kindle? Of course. That is a GOOD thing. Since I've got my NOOK I actually read MORE than before. I honestly think people aren't looking a the big picture. We need our youngest generation to read. In a world with video games and entertainment on demand you have to do something to get the younglings to read. Now books are more interactive and will help keep the 10 second attention span. Books will continue. Will you perhaps have to do a little more ordering instead of just walking into a store and buying one....maybe...in ten years...but right now you don't have to worry about so stop being fucking dumbasses.

4. Land Lines phones aren't going anywhere as businesses will still want them. I don't see places like Wal-Mart or Target going to a bank of cell phones that people will walk out with anytime soon. Again use your head dumbshits.

5. This one is even more asinine then the books! Music will go away. Really? Something that has been around since the beginning of man will go away. Damn people are fucking stupid. Now if they meant the music industry haven't we been hearing this shit for years. Since Napster (which will allow me to give yet another big fuck you to Metallica for suing me despite getting your one fucking good song from a friend which you said was okay you fucking dickshit assholes) I've heard that music was dying. Blah blah blah blah blah. Artist still put out music and always will.

6. The last one on the list that bugged me was Television. Again this email made it sound like television was dying. No the way we the public get our television and entertainment in general has changed. Less people are watching on their actually TV when the show is shown live. Less people are tuning into entertainment TV when it shown. Less people are watching Chuck on Monday nights. They are now waiting for HULU or streaming Netflixs or using torrents or waiting for the DVD. They are still watching the shows just not in 'real time'. Why was Futurama and Family Guy brought back from the dead? Because people bought the shit ton of DVD's because people liked the show. Why did Firefly get a movie? Because the DVD's sold even if NO ONE watched the TV show when it was on.

Overall this shit pisses me off because they are dumbass statements....well the Post Office and newspaper one was more a stupid statement. I am in no way bashing my friend who sent this, I love Big John, but it drove me batshit. There was more to the email that I can't even go into as I could have a heart attack.

Okay enough of that lets look at other things.

The Walking Dead continues to be one of the best shows around. While nothing this week touched the end of last week it was still good and makes me wish I had AMC to see Sunday night instead of Monday afternoon but I can't wait. My mind has gone in several different directions as to why the CDC dude wanted them to leave instead of letting them in.

This season of Dexter might be the best season yet. Julia Stiles as an addition has been great addition and who would have thought the star of Hackers Jonny Lee Miller was as good as he is. I think he is an extremely underrated actor.

Over the next couple of weeks you are going to see more movie reviews as I have a ton of movies to watch that I don't think a lot of people have watched. I did it for Mindhunters a few weeks back and soon I'll do one for Big Fan starring Patton Oswald who is also extremely underrated.

With that being said I could also be gone for the next couple of weeks. I have some major things (my Road to Damascus if you have followed my blog/facebook) happening in the near future. Things are going to be very interesting but if you believe in symbolism in dreams I am ready for it.

Lastly lets talk about Christmas Music...and my hatred for it. Yesterday they started it at work. Not even December and there is fucking Christmas music playing in the store. Without control over the music (we only have shitty musak or however you spell it) and the ability to play the Muppets once a day I might snap and kill people.

I think I'll end with that. I am off to watch me some Torchwood in the absence of new Doctor Who...which returns on Christmas Day....YAY!

No comments: