2010/12/17

Cross Rhodes book review


Tuesday pro wrestler Dustin "Goldust" Rhodes released his auto biography 'Cross Rhodes'.

Anyone who watched the WWF during the mid 90's into what is called the Attitude era of Stone Cold and The Rock know Dustin's alter ego Goldust. Goldust has had several versions of his character. He started off as the very effeminate movie quoting character. Then came the Artist Formerly Known as Goldust who would dress up in weird outfits including bondage outfits with the late Luna Vachon. Then you had his stuttering gimmick after being electrocuted. No matter which version you know a 6'4" blonde painted gold like an Oscar is hard not to notice.

The book takes you on a very quick tour of his career but it is more about his life outside the squared circle. In it he talks about his on again off again relationship with his famous father pro wrestler Dusty Rhodes. He talks about his ex-wife Terri.

That isn't what was most interesting in my opinion. It was his open honest talk about his demons, alcohol and pain pills. He talks about hiding the pills and the booze. He talks about spiking his mountain dew with vodka. He talks about how his life went down hill.

Overall it isn't as good Mick Foley's books or Bret's (which would have been extremely hard since those are the measuring sticks) but it is a quick read. I personally would have liked to have more backstage stories about the wrestling itself but I don't think that is what Dustin was going for. This was about getting the story out. He doesn't use the line but it I got the idea that it wasn't about getting knocked down it was that Dustin kept getting up each time.

It took me around 2 hours to read this book. There were several quotes in the book that I wish I had wrote down. Dustin made you feel his pain without smacking you across the face with it.

I was a fan of Dustin/Goldust as the wrestler going back to his first's back in 1990 with the WWF. I actually remember Ted DiBiase beating him up and outlasting Ted's 10 minute challenge. Then his run as the Natural. One of my favorite matches is still Dustin taking on Vader on a Clash of the Champions. Now however I'm a fan of Dustin Runnels, the man behind the paint.

I hope Dustin is happy and I hope his latest set back, a shoulder injury that resulted in surgery, is just that a set back. Goldust is still one of the best in the ring and I would love to see one last run for the Golden One. One way or another as he said all those years ago...."You'll never....ever....for get the name of..." *long inhale* "Of Goldust."

Oh and as always go here to buy it from BN.com or here to buy it from amazon. The website will also give a little back to the best wrestling web site on the net pwinsider.com

No comments: