2020/01/19

Classic Wrestling Review: 1994-01-10 Monday Night Raw


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening....whenever it is you have found this entry.  Today I am checking out the next wrestling show from my journey back to 1994.  It is Raw from Jan 10th.  I am not sure much of what is going on at this time yet, other than we are on the road to the Royal Rumble.  So, and I hope this does not get me sued....lets get ready to RUMBLE!!

  • Oh Johnny Polo, I loved your character and miss it.  Even though Raven was pretty good too
  • For the titles?  THAT IS NOT FAIR!
  • IT IS THE MACHO MAN!  He is not long for the WWF world at this point, less than a year actually
  • My man Bastion Booger is on the show!  Poor Mike Shaw never had a chance, did he?
  • It is weird to think 25 years later Pierre is the ROH champion 
  • Such a weird team with these two.  
  • Look how young Waltman looks!  I realize its 25 years ago but wow
  • Rougeau was good in the ring, you cannot deny that....same with Marty
  • The fans still loved the Kid at this point.  When I saw him in 1995 they did not!
  • 12 days from now is one of my favourite wrestling memories at the Royal Rumble, because I love me some Owen Hart!
  • That backdrop dropkick did not look good, Marty could not get the Kid high enough for it to look good
  • Yeah, walkout guys, you have a much bigger match in 12 days!
  • Did Rougeau do the best leapfrog ever?
  • Superkick by Marty, a sign of him signing with AEW?  
  • Rough fall tot he floor for Marty
  • This was my favourite version of Waltman, the Lightning Kid/1-2-3 Kid before he was no longer the underdog
  • A three-segment match in 1994?  That did not happen often that I remember
  • IRS vs. Randy Savage next week?  That is exciting!
  • What a tag move by the Quebecers, almost Total Elimination
  • Watching this match I am extremely impressed with the former Mountie.  
  • One of my favourite tag team finishers!
  • Marty should have pulled the Kid to his corner!
  • I remember being shocked by these results and thinking "what about the Royal Rumble?"  Now I almost wish we had seen the Hart Brothers vs. Kid/Jannetty, that would have been a hell of a match!
  • Weird to think Borga was only around about a year in the WWF, give or take
  • I thought they were really high on them then he just disappeared after an injury
  • I miss a good ring announcer like The Fink
  • I hated good guy Doink
  • How great was Bobby selling that soaking!
  • I know some people loved this Taker, my favourite was always the Ministry 
  • It is weird to see Taker in a squash match in 1994.  You did not see the top guys like that at this point much
  • HERE COMES MY MAN BOOGER!  I PICK BOOGER!
  • Oh good grief, Booger is going to end up in that cake
  • Is this the year that Bam Bam goes into the Hall of Fame?
  • Was that planned?  Or did Bigelow have him too high
  • Nope, I was wrong, it was IRS who took the cake to the face!
That was a fun show and reminded me how good the guys back then were.  They were not as athletic as the wrestlers are now but I think they were better pro wrestlers.  I bought that they were in a fight where now most look like they are dancing.  My wife, who now watches modern stuff after watching in the '80s as a kid, said wrestling is missing big guys like Booger.  It is true now guys look are the size of my 20-year-old daughter.  We are missing those massive guys like Booger and Bigelow.  Now everyone is my size which is under 6 feet.  I guess I miss those days where you had a variety of guys instead of most being the same.  I think that is why these reviews, the classics, get more views than modern stuff.  Anyway no more ranting back to this show.  I liked the longer title match and the rest being squashes.  I liked Vince and Randy as a team, they had such good chemistry.  Overall a fun show and a really good length!  Enough of this, however.  The next classic show will be WCW Power Hour from Jan 15th.  Until then....this is the Fat Man himself saying....Abyssinia!

Results
  • Segment:  Jacques & Pierre (WWF Tag Team Champions) & Johnny Polo
  • Marty Jannetty/1-2-3 Kid def. Jacques/Pierre (WWF Tag Team Champions) for the Titles
  • Raw Anniversary Moment
  • Royal Rumble Report  
  • Raw Anniversary Moment
  • Ludvig Borga def. Brad Anderson via Submission
  • Recap:  Superstars
  • Raw Anniversary Moment
  • The Undertaker def. Ray Hudson
  • Recap:  Bastion Booger & Bam Bam Bigelow
  • Bam Bam Bigelow def. Bastion Booger 
  • Segment:  Jacques & Pierre & Johnny Polo
  • Raw Anniversary Moment
  • Segment:  IRS/Randy Savage

No comments: