2020/01/18

Classic Wrestling Review: 1994-01-09 Main Event


Good morning, good afternoon, good evening....whenever it is you have found this post.  Today I am going to try what I did a year ago and watch wrestling from 1994!  That is right back for the first week or so of shows in the archives but I am picking up where I left over, with the main event from Jan 9th.  I have no idea what is going to be on the show or who is hosting or anything so no preview today just jump into 1994 WCW...maybe my favourite time in WCW!

  • It is Tony and Larry as the hosts
  • Shockmaster, the Cole Twins, Pretty Wonderful and others today
  • For being as big as he was, Shockmaster was in pretty good shape at this point
  • However, that weird Bearhug slam thing was a horrible finisher
  • Larry is an extremely underrated announcer I think
  • This copy of the show has commercials...and they were not better back in the day!
  • See 1994 Missy Hyatt makes me wonder who would hotter in their prime, Missy or Sunny
  • Its Road Dogg and Scotty Riggs!
  • 1994 was awesome for tag teams in WCW and this team, and I mean the Pauls, were a foundation
  • What in the blue hell is Road Dogg wearing?
  • It was a weird thing to have the Assassin as the manager beyond when Orndorff was feuding with Rhodes
  • The assassin needed a bigger mask!
  • Good grief aside from Orndorff none of those guys can talk!
  • Awesome, figure skating was on after this back in 1994
  • I loved the game genie, make things SO much easier to cheat
  • I love the Godwinns/Tex Slazenger & Shanghai Pierce
  • I also thought Shanghai was a very underrated performer.  Surprised he never got a singles title run over the years
  • I think if Shanghai came along now he would be in a top spot like Baron Corbin 
  • Is Zenk one of the biggest underperformers in modern wrestling?
  • My first time watching Bryant Anderson, he had a good look
  • SUPERKICK!  Obviously, the Z-Man would be a star in AEW
  • I will say Zenk was not a horrible promo, when it was kept short
  • This was as Steve Austin started to find that "attitude" 
  • It is also weird to think in about a year Austin was gone from WCW I believe
  • STUN GUN!  I loved that move, I feel like Austin should have used that more in his WWF run
A good show with some good action on it.  As I said above I loved this time in WCW especially their tag teams.  Saw several of them on this show but throw in the Nasty Boys and Harlem Heat and you had one hell of a tag team division!  Then you have the singles division with Rude, Rhodes, Austin, Vader, Sting, Flair, Pillman and Arn along with others at the top and middle of the card I love this time in WCW!  The next classic review will be of the Jan 10th episode of Raw so stay tuned!  Until next time, this is the fat man himself saying....Abyssinia!

RESULTS

  • Shockmaster def. Chris Sullivan
  • Recap:  WCW Saturday Night
  • Paul Orndorff/Paul Roma def. Bryan Armstrong/Scott Studd
  • Interview:  Paul Orndorff & Paul Roma & Assassin/Marcus Bagwell & Too Cold Scorpio & Teddy Long
  • WCW Control Center
  • Tex Slazenger/Shanghai Pierce def. Keith Cole/Kent Cole  
  • Interview:  Diamond Dallas Page
  • Z-Man def. Bryant Anderson
  • Interview:  Z-Man
  • Music Video:  Sting
  • Steve Austin (WCW US Champion) def. Larry Santo
  • Interview:  Steve Austin (WCW US Champion)/Robert Parker

No comments: